Day 213, Mount Kinabalu

Mount Kinabalu Travel Blog

Mt. Kinabalu, Borneo
The hike up Kinabalu, it was hard, but good, could have done it in my flip flops, but I am glad I didn't. We spent the night before staying up much to late watching the Trinidad and Tabago vs Sweeden football match in Kota Kinabalu, actually a very entertaining game for a 0-0 draw. We got up at 6am to get to the mountain and hiking by 10:30, got to the base camp at 3:30 after a very relaxed 6k hike up a pretty steep mountain. Din and I stopped for a game or two of "Shit Head" at each rest stop. It was a long steep hike, but not too hard. It was nice to spend the night (evening? since we got up at 2 am hiking by 3am) near the summit, we even had hot water, and the summit lodge had a buffet dinner.
The last 2.7k (about 800 meters vertical) was pretty easy for me and I was the first to summit along with two Malaysian guides. It was very cold at sunrise, I summited at 4:15 am and had to wait an hour, for Din and my guide, for the sun to come up... glad I had three pairs of pants, but I was still quite cold. It was pretty busy on the trail the whole way up, but once I passed most of the crowd by about the 7 km mark, I had the mountain top to myself. The last 1.5k made the whole trip that much better. I felt like I was doing something a little more unique, even though there was a rope guiding the path to the top, at least I wasn't stuck behind 20 chinese tourist with trekking poles stopping for a rest every 5 steps.
It was the night before the full moon so there was plenty of light, no need for a torch. Once at the top I got to watch the moon set and the sunrise together, well above the clouds, overlooking Kota Kinabablu and the south China Sea, as well as the whole of Borneo shrouded in clouds, there was also a pretty decent electrical storm off to the north.
I took a 2 hour nap back at the cabin, then got back down off the mountain at noon. Had a good feed while waiting for a couple to come down so a group of us could share a van to the Pouring Hot Springs where we spent a couple hours soaking in the sulfur water, then spent the night there.
Poring Hot Spring