Ang Trapeang Thmor Reservoir trip

Sisophon Travel Blog

This is actually not in Sisophon, but Travbuddy does not know the location. It's a two hours drive from Siem Reap, but closer to Sisophon then Siem Reap.

I went on a daytrip with the Sam Veasna Center, which I can really recommend when you want to do something organised, but not something mainstream in Northern Cambodia. Two things though: you have to love nature, and in particular: birds. I'm more of a general nature-lover, and the bird-watching was fun for most part, but I'm not really into it.
I did not went on their regular daytrips, but on one of the guide training trips, so I was basically in a car with seven of Cambodia's top birdwatchers. I quess even seven of Cambodia's only birdwatchers.
Cambodians are generally not very interested in nature, they polute it, so these were some unique people. And very nice people too. The trip was organised by an American professional birdwatcher/dentist that lived in Cambodia for a few years now.
The trip was real fun, only started really early at 5am. Then we drove two hours to the reservate, which is actually from the Angkorean times, but was abandoned and discarded. Pol Pot successfully opened up the reservoir again, causing a lot of people to die in forced labour. The reservoir has a lot of birds (ofcourse) and a lot of rare species sometimes show up there.

It was so funny to be in a car with so many birdwatchers. They see something flying miles from you and they can tell you exactly what bird it is, if it's a female or male, and where it comes from. At that point I still hadn't spotted the bird! And that while bouncing on Cambodia's famous unpaved roads.
Amazing people. Most Khmer just want to live in Phnom Penh, drive a shiney moto and watch television. These guys only want to watch birds!!

The Sam Veasna Center is a really good organisation if you want to participate in eco-tourism. They organise trips to remote villages in the dry season, and give them a chance to make some profit out of it. In the rainy season they often go to these villages and offer them training and workshops. You can find them at and they are also the only eco-tour operator that Wildlife Conservation International allows in their parcs. Sorry for the advertising here, but this is not only a commercial organisation and I hope it's allowed in this context.
The reservoir
The reservoir
Our car
Our car
Some rare bird we saw. White rumme…
Some rare bird we saw. White rumm…
photo by: CinnamonCookie