American Adventure Day 8 - Road Trip to Vegas Baby!!!

Las Vegas Travel Blog

Malibu

Melanie picked me up bright an early in the heart of downtown LA. As I had supposed to be moving onto Santa Monica she happily agreed to take for me a short drive to see what I would be missing and then making a short drive up to Malibu.  Both areas looked so chilled out and would have to be visited on a future trip.

I acted as co pilot and navigator for the trip to Vegas or more accurately the GPS on my mobile acted as navigator while I gazed at the amazing landscape and imagined myself as Clint Eastwood in one of those classic westerns!  Having never visited America before I could not appreciate the scale of the place.  In England you`re never more than 20 minutes from a town whereas here there seemed to be nothing for as far as the eye could see.

the world tallest thermometer
  Melanie had told me that there was a fantastic Greek restaurant with the world biggest Thermometer along the way. I had assumed this was another example of crazy American humour.  Who in their right mind would open a Greek restaurant in the middle of the desert.  Well crazy Americans, thats who!!  The Mad Greek not only exists but it is also very good, certainly better than any Greek food you would find in England outside of London.  Right next to it is the world tallest Thermometer just in case you`re not sure exactly how hot you are. Only in America!!

Seeing the Vegas skyline was incredibly exciting.  Ive always kind of thought of Vegas as a sort of Disneyland aimed at adults!   Seeing it at night would be even better though.

vegas baby!

My good friend Sal had organised a BBQ for that evening and Melanie thought it would be good idea to go and surprise him.  I had met Sal originally in Amsterdam for the new years eve party and had enjoyed spending some more time with him in San Francisco.  He`s a fun guy and would be great to see him on his home turf so to speak.  The BBQ was a lot of fun and gave me a chance to meet up with Eric who again I had first met in Amsterdam aswell as a few new faces i`d not seen before.

After the BBQ Melanie took me for a nightime drive around the strip.  It was exactly how I had always imagined it to be.  The lights, the extravagance of the buildings.  There is simply nothing to compare in England.  I obviously had to take the classic picture next to the Vegas sign.  It had been a tiring day with a long journey but an exciting one.

livelovelaugh87 says:
Haha I don't think a trip to America would've been complete without good 'ol Vegas!
Posted on: Jan 12, 2010
a vette!!!
a vette!!!
a line of about 8 Corvettes passed…
a line of about 8 Corvettes passe…
the stratosphere by night