American Adventure Day 3 - The day of the rain

San Francisco Travel Blog

Managed to make another early start and after grabbing  aquick hangover-over solving coffee from the nearest startbucks I headed for Ghirardelli square. It was a bit of a walk from my hostel but I`d heard that you could get A grade chocolate and that was all the motivation I needed.  About half way there something happened which I was not expecting in California, it started raining!  This was not funny, I had flown 6000 miles to get away from the constant English rain!!  However I pressed on and made it to the square.  Still raining I had a wander down to the Cable Car turnaround point and also checked out the Martime Museum.

I had planned to go onto Golden Gate park and see the Exploratorium but the rain was getting very heavy so chose to head back to the hostel to dry out.

Spent the entire time slagging of the beach boys for their clearly untrue lyrics about Californian weather!

Got back to the hostel and checked in with Matt by text.  He was equally unamused by the weather and held up in his hostel aswell.

Early evening I set out for 21st Amendment bar to meet up with Matt, Adrian, Amy, Nicole, Brian, Adrian, Bill and Ryan.  The plan was to have a few drinks and food then head for the Giants baseball game.  The staff at the 21st amendment were incredibly rude and basically threw us out.  They were not happy that were were taking up a whole table but not all of us were eating.  Brian did a fantastic job of making our feelings clear before we left.

So we all set off for AT & T park, the home of the San Francisco Giants.

It had now been raining solid for about 10 hours but that could not dampen my enthusiasm.  This was going to be my first baseball game and I would eventually be dry under the stadium`s roof.  America is the richest country in the world, there is no way they would build a stadium then not bother to put a roof on it.  I would be dry soon!  On the way Matt was offered the pricely sum of $10 for his spare tickets but for reasons but refused to accept such a scandalous offer.  he`s a man of principle is our Matt.

"Where`s the sodding roof" I cried when I entered the stadium.  If you want baseball to be accepted as a great sport like football ( yes I said football NOT soccer!!) then you must learn to finish your stadiums before palying in them.

Despite of the weather I really enjoyed the game, had  a great chat with everyone especially the lovely Amy and Brian who seemed fascinated by English culture.  I`m not sure why as it mainly consists of binge drinking and being sick in the back of taxis!  The game was a great success with the Giants winning.

A few of us headed to a local bar for a quick drink before returning to our home from home, lefty o`doulls.  We were later joined by Erin, Brett and Michelle with the conversation and drink flowing nicely.  The evening again ended with the usual suspects myself, Adrian and Matt being escorted out by the police.

mpope9 says:
Principles ... Me... Most definitely !!!
Posted on: May 13, 2009