Day 2: Tarquinia, Rome again, Naples & Sorrento.

Sorrento Travel Blog

I woke up to the smell of pastries baking, opera music and whistling and remembered Kaylyn’s place was over Giordano’s bakery, and apparently he starts at 3am everyday.  So I laid there and sniffed and listened and thought about how it was only 8pm at home and my 6 year old wasn’t even in bed yet. (Hi Kiya!)

The town of Tascania will be very hard to beat on this trip. It is picture perfect in every Italian way possible. From all the little family owned shops and adorable flower covered gated homes to the cobble stone streets and crazy old historic city walls this place is very shy and quiet but beaming with happy people living the old ways of a simple life. Kaylyn’s cooking teacher’s  parents gave us each a bottle of fancy white wine and fresh homemade hazelnut biscottii as we left town and the baker downstairs came up to give us both kisses on the cheeks.

We left Tuscania on the 6:45am bus and stopped on the way in another historic stone town called Tarquinia for a brisk walk up the steep street to the view overlooking queens valley. Before Rome was built the queen lived there, but the Romans later destroyed it, so now it is just houses, barns and grazing sheep with a crazy view.

The next stop was the train station where we rode to Rome again. Many  trains stop in Rome, so the station is huge. We walked around a few streets but it s so dirty and there are so may other tourists and foreigners it wasn’t any different then most cities and we had another train to catch.

The hiding Italia dog

Three hours, one Italian conductor yelling at me because I put my feet on the train seat and an adorable hiding dog (they aren’t allowed on trains) later we came to Naples. It was filthy as well so we quickly boarded a subway car and road it to the end of the line where we found another bus that took us further south  to the top of a cliff overlooking the bay and our campground. We got a private cabin for 20 Euros each and quickly dumped our backpacks off to find a free bathroom. In Italy all bathrooms cost money, usually around $1.00. That is also the same price as a cup of coffee so we prefer to save the money and hold it. Of course since we are at a camp ground it is a BYO-TP (bring your own toilet paper) place, so that was a surprise, but at least they had showers, so we were happy.

Waiting on subway in Naples
The next 2 days here should be amazing!

Day 2: Tarquinia, Rome again, Naples & Sorrento.

The town of Tascania will be very hard to beat on this trip.

It is picture perfect in every Italian way possible. From all the little family owned shops and adorable flower covered gated homes to the cobble stone streets and crazy old historic city walls this place is very shy and quiet but beaming with happy people living the old ways of a simple life. Kaylyn’s cooking teacher’s  parents gave us each a bottle of fancy white wine and fresh homemade hazelnut biscottii as we left town and the baker downstairs came up to give us both kisses on the cheeks. Apparently they all liked Kaylyn and were sad to see her go, as she was to leave. I can certainly see why.

The next stop was the train station where we rode to Rome again.

It was well worth the 10 hour trip to get here, now we are resting in our wooded, quiet cabin before we venture out to take pictures of the awesome sea and city view. The next 2 days here should be amazing!

Sorrento