On the road to Albany

Albany Travel Blog

Monday May 4

I went up early because this day was the longest drive of all. But first I had to search for coffee, but I ran out of Canadian dollars. So no coffee. Back to the hotel room and make my own coffee. Half an hour later we went to Perkins next door. They offer a good breakfast. So filled up we took our car and started to drive crossing the famous Rainbow bridge.  We were alone by the boarder, so the officer was very thorough.

So he checked everything very careful. Even the trunk of the car had to be opened. They especially search for cigarettes and alcohol.  Following the toll road to Albany. At Waterloo we leave the toll road. Here you drive among the Finger lakes , this region is famous for the grow of the champagne grapes. We drove next to the interstate because of a traffic jam. Crossing Montezuma reserve. In Jordan we took the interstate again. If you like a nice place for a pick nick, you have to stop at Willow Bay. A lake in a green surrounding. Passing Verona and Rome we saw the Erie Canal. This canal they dig for the trade of textile.

In Cooperstown you will find caves you can visit. Also there are little falls.  Take exit 29a to Dolgeville.  Among this road are several road house restaurants. Indian Castle is one of them. They have signs near the restaurant which will give you extra information about the area you are in.

We left the Highway in Albany, and found the hotel in Albany.

This is an industrial zone. Do we have to stay here for the night? And where is a restaurant? Why is it so messy here? Why is the hotel on the outside so damaged? But ok we took our luggage upstairs and went out again. The girl at the desk advised us to go to Carmines.  We started to walk and tried to cross the street which was very dangerous. Walking in an area with a lot of garbage on the floor and in the ditch. A lot of car parks we have seen there. On the other side of the road was an shopping centre. We knew we had to go there, but we could not see the restaurant. Walking further we saw in the corner on the left in the shopping mall the restaurant. But it is dark!! Do not tell me it is closed. Arriving at the door, the restaurant was open! And we were surprised by the nice interior and the quality of the restaurant. Here we had a delicious dinner.

I still was glad I had to stay there just for one night.

Albany Hotels & Accommodations review
strange location
If you are here as a tourist and like to see Albany do not go to this hotel. It is located in a very strange area, between shops selling cars. And ver… read entire review
Albany Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Italian food of very good quality
Carmine Spiro is the owner of this restaurant. Do not let the location scare you of to visit this restaurant. Because this restaurant is located on a … read entire review
photo by: kebrunn