Possibly a day at Supreme - More musings on the ceremony.

Arusha Travel Blog

I was witness to the cultural pride of the Maasai. The Elders, who mostly likely do not speak Swahili let along English, where miming & encouraging us to take photographs of the event. They would hold their mimed cameras out in front of them, enough to see the screen if there were one, alluding that they were fully aware of the age of digital camera that we seem to be in. Another behaviour I witnessed was the “freak outs” for want of a better, and younger than 60 years old, term, that was exhibited by the Morani (warriors). Vicky kindly advised me that they had been taking some medicinal herb along with traditional beer, mead I think. It’s also possible that the general atmosphere of the event could contribute to this, similar to evangelists in the US. I would later observe from Loshiro’s many videos, that the atmosphere at the centre of the dance is also quite intense. Though participation is obviously enjoyable for all, there were some who lead the singing and dancing closer to the front, I would like to learn what the basis for this selection is. [Note, it turns out that it’s was simply because the people singing were trained to do so, or at least had some natural talent, and nothing more complex, which is what I assumed, cross-cultural perspective eh?].
photo by: Mikie