the sunny side of Ireland

Dublin Travel Blog

St.Patricks Cathedral

Well, day 2 started early: breakfast at 8 AM, since there was a lot to be seen and done. It looked to be a very rainy day, so we took the LUAS, the tram or cable cart to the centre; crossed the Liffey and of to St. Patrick's Cathedral. That good saint must have been with us that day, since after some drizzle, out came the sun!

St.Patricks Cathedral is one of Dublins oldest churches and very rich decorated. Lot's of colours, statues and plaques to remember fallen heroes with. The floor is magnificent with mozaiques and details, almost as good to look at as the rest. We were early, and that was a good thing; people can be queueing up for an hour wait!

After St.Patricks, we went to Dublinia, the viking experience. We bought a combined ticket with Christ Church, those 2 are next to eachother and even linked by a bridge. Dublinia tells the story of Viking Dublin and Medieval Dublin. Nice for kids, but a bit boring for us. The view from St.Micheals tower is amazing, though!

Crossing the bridge to Christ Church: less decorated but not less beautiful.

After that it was time for a pint; and were to do it better tham at the Guinness Brewery, St. James' Gate? It tells the story of Guinness and much more. A bit commercial, but it is a must in my opinion.

Further we went for some shopping at Grafton Street, said hello to the Tart with the Cart (the Statue of Molly Malone, called that way because of her clevage) and had a nice diner the Abacus restaurant.

Dublinia
Dublinia
St. James Gate
St. James Gate
My goodness, my Guinness!
My goodness, my Guinness!
Dublin