AsiaNepalChitwan

swim with the elephants

Chitwan Travel Blog

The next day the real fun began. In the morning we went on an elephant safari. Two jeeps picked us up at the hotel and we were driven to a park’s entrance. The safari was great…huge green trees, lots of rivers, families of rhinos, peacocks, crocodile. Than we had couple of minutes of relaxation time and we were off for a swim with the elephants. Well we were not really off to…because the elephants were brought right to our hotel. I have to say that I was pretty scared at first, but it was a once (or maybe twice) in a lifetime opportunity and I just had to do it (I think that $6 for the ride helped to make my decision this much easier too).

So I sat on the elephant and as we were going down the hill to the river I nearly fell to the side - well we had nothing to hold on to so it did not come as a surprise.
But than when we got to the river and started getting closer to its middle all my fears went away. From this point forward it was just an amazing experience. We gave the elephant a bath and it provided us with a great and frequent showers - more reliable than the showers at most of our hotel rooms ☺. Elephants are actually pretty playful in the water and it was nice to learn some new tricks such as another way to get on top of  the elephant (pulling elephant’s ears makes him to raise his trunk high enough so you can smoothly get on his back).

So even when you are afraid of something remember that in the end everything will turn into a great experience and a memory you will keep for the rest of your life - so do it!

And than I had a pretty great and calm end to this fascinating day.
Sapana Village Launge
We went to the local town to use the internet. Of course the connection was nearly nonexistent and it took me forever to send only 2 e-mails. After a while I got frustrated and was ready to leave when I looked outside the window. All of the sudden there was an elephant carrying several people to the nearby shops and than after not even ten seconds I saw a camel doing the very same thing. All I could do is to put on “welcome to Nepal” smile and wait another 20 minutes for my e-mails to reach the ‘sent’ folder.

PS: swimming with the local kids in the river was also a great bonding experience...it felt nice when the next day before our departure and walking around the village all of them rememberd us...smiled...waved and introduced us to their families.
me on the elephant
me on the elephant
time to meet some local kids!!
time to meet some local kids!!
Chitwan