Saint-Maximin

Saint-Maximin Travel Blog

Mary Magdalene's remnants

How can I forget Saint-Maximin? It was the one place where I could injure myself and make quite a few catholics get a look of horror on theirs faces at the same time.

It is a small town and apparently the highloght of visiting St. Maximin is that you can visit a very old church. This church has this little passage so that you can go underground into a small dark room and have a look at what allegedly are Mary Magdalene's remains. I couldn't the temptation to have a look at a dead prostitute's bones. (Harsh I know. Take it as a joke, will you?) Now, maybe I didn't mention this before, ort maybe you are just not aware of this, but we were a group or maybe 40 mexicans...so when you take us to a place like this it eventually starts to get very crowded. and that is exactly what happened on that small dark room which wasn't really that dark because most of us were taking pictures so the flashes both light  the room and, well, blind you.

At some point after I had taken my picture, I decided I wanted to get out so I turned around and my knee collided with the protective crystal. After I hit it, quite strong actually, it starts bouncing around as it wasn't tight, so at one point it looks like it can fall down in any moment and to either side. Everyone starts turning their head and looking at me so I had no option but to grab my knee and just say "ouch!" while I walked away from that room as fast as I could.

That was Saint-Maximin for me.

Mary Magdalenes remnants