Day 7 - Rheeze to Meppel

Hardenberg Travel Blog

Today was the last day of our holiday and I woke up with mixed feelings. Looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again definitely, even though I am not very big I just do not like single beds. I was not looking forward to packing up the bikes again and I was worried about the train ride home as I wasn’t quite sure how I would get the bikes with all that weight onto the trains! Anyway, there wasn’t any point on dwelling on this, we just had to wait and see.

The kids played with the neighbour’s kids again so that left the adults (they were leaving today too), to pack up in relative peace. They went around the campsite trying to exchange the tokens they had received over the course of our stay. (Upon arrival you receive two of these tokens free of charge and you then receive more with items you purchase. This may be an ice cream, pancake or 15 Euro worth of stuff from the shop. These tokens can be saved up and when you have five of a certain colour you get a free pencil with one of the characters on it.) I had a shower and finished packing and was ready to go at 10.30, much earlier than I expected! I was getting better at fitting everything onto the bikes and then we were going home… So I sat down for a chat with the neighbours until the kids had the tokens they wanted, and then checked out. (We got two free pencils, yeah!)

We rode to Hardenberg which was just over 6 kilometers away and had to wait for the train so I had a coffee and apple pie and the kids had some chocolate. We got on the train which took us to Zwolle, then changed trains there to go back home to Meppel. I needn’t have worried about getting the bikes on the train at all, everyone was very helpful.

All in all I can say it was a great holiday and I would definitely do it again. Next time though I might skip the Sprookjescamping and stay on the different campsites a night or two longer to explore the area a bit more and to save me from having to pack up everything every second day! So any suggestions on where to go next year are welcome!

photo by: inkie1010