Day 4 – Ommen

Ommen Travel Blog

Jewish wargrave

Oh no, not another accident! Must be the new surroundings or something, but again Jordan woke up completely wet. As it was only 6am I decided to take her into bed with me which meant sharing the bottom bunk and my sleeping bag, not ideal circumstances for sleeping… After washing yet again while the girls were playing with the neighbour’s kids the suggestion was made to go swimming with them. In the end the neighbour (Karin) offered to take my girls while I rode into Ommen to have a look around and do some shopping. Well I wasn’t going to turn that down was I! So that’s exactly what happened: they went to the swimming lake and I went to have a look around this town I had passed by many times but never actually stopped to see.

War graves

Ommen has a rich history, mainly as a trading town which was part of the Hanzesteden (see my blog on those). Unfortunately a lot of this history is no longer visible as with many of these town, but there are still some old buildings around. The river going past is now mainly used for tourism which of course also brings a lot of money into the town. When I was there, there were markets and a show with a playback contest and there was also a funfair. This meant it was quite busy but also that some of the buildings were not easily photographed without lots of people in the picture. I had a nice stroll around anyway and did some grocery shopping so I did what I came for. I then rode back to the campsite, so another 12 kilometers clocked up!

When I got back the kids were still swimming so I spent the rest of the time relaxing with a book, first outside but I soon moved inside as it was getting quite hot in the sun. My bed was a comfortable spot, so comfortable in fact that I ended up falling asleep! What luxury, sleeping in the middle of the day…

After dinner (we had take-away today) there was the opportunity to ride some ponies and on a pony cart. The local riding club was having a fundraiser so both girls had a ride around the outdoor riding arena, and then on the cart through some of the forest the campsite is situated in. After that it was time for bed for the girls, and me not long after…

Biedjee says:
It is interesting how many blogs on this site are about the nuisances of sleeping in hostel dorms. However, this must be the first detailing about little kids' nightly accidents :-)
Posted on: Aug 18, 2009
Old newspaper building
Old newspaper building
Nice shop front
Nice shop front
The Vecht
The Vecht
Main church in Ommen (detail)
Main church in Ommen (detail)
Kids having dinner