Accommodation is booked

Meppel Travel Blog

Today I spent some time checking out campsites that have the log cabins we want to stay in. I had done this before and narrowed down the options, and these are the ones I decided on (unfortunately none of the sites are in English):

Camping Si-es-an in Balkbrug. This is located about 20,5 kilometers from where we live, so should be fine to do for our first day. The campsite has lots of facilites for kids such as one large and a few smaller playgrounds. There is also a petting zoo and a paddling pool. It is situated next to nature reserve de Haardennen.

Camping De Kleine Wolf in Ommen. This will be just under 15 kilometers from the previous place. Facilities here include a heated outdoor and an indoor pool, a fishing pond, lots of playgrounds, miniature golf and more. There are also some restaurants, tennis courts and other facilites for the bigger people amongst us.

Sprookjescamping de Vechtstreek in Rheeze is another 14 kilometers orso by bike. This campsite has a fairytale theme, and there are lots of things to do for children. There are animation teams, there's theatre, a few pools, a lake for swimming and fishing, restaurants, the list goes on and on...

Now I know that for most people who do not have children (and even some who do) this all sounds like hell on earth. And believe me, I would not go to any of these places if I was travelling without my kids! But as I am travelling with two girls aged 4 and 6, I think they will have the time of their lives here and therefore so will I. That's just the way it works! I will be able to let them play knowing that they are safe, and I might get a chance to read a book or just sit and relax with a glass of wine while talking to the neighbours or something. There will be plenty of kids to play with at these places so the kids will have a ball and that's what matters most...

Bookings have been confirmed! I also bought some kid's sleepingbags as we need to bring our own bedding and did some necessary work on my bike as it needed some minor repairs done.

pms70 says:
Thanks! I am really looking forward to it, all we need is good weather on the days we're riding and we should have a blast!
Posted on: May 12, 2009
ms_travelr says:
Patricia, this sounds like a wonderful adventure with the girls, especially the sprookjescamping. I find the Netherlands a great country for a biking vacation. I hope one year to do one around the Ijsselmeer. Enjoy !
Posted on: May 12, 2009