Isle of mull - Scotland 2008 - Day 2

Isle of Mull Travel Blog

Now I have rested after an epic ride, It is time to get the map out and have a look at what to see, Steve has been coming up here for years and knows allot about the island and the wild life, while having breakfast we talked about all the different animals and birds that are on the island.

One of the main birds of prey up here is the ever elusive sea eagle; I must get a picture of one!  A good site to look at is http://www.mullwildlife.co.uk/ this better explains the vast number of birds.

We had a really good spot the view from my tent was amazing, It was like a postcard picture!
For the day we had planned to go down to the beach and check out the cost. The beach was clean and had a stiff sea breeze that was welcome in the heat. The weather up here is odd it can be really sunny were you could just be in shorts and then the next minute it could be lashing it down with rain!

We had a system and with the local knowledge of the land we could tell what the weather was going to be like. The view told us all we needed to know, if you look out from the beach toward the ocean there are 2 islands, one looks like a giant battle ship and the other like a tom bowler hat. If you can see them clearly then it would be very nice for at least 3 hours. When the weather is about to get bad the island disappear into the cloud and it takes a while for the cloud to reach us.

Also the cattle are a great indication of what the weather is going to be doing that day, If the cattle were in the top field then the day would be fine, if they were no were to be seen then they were taking shelter for a reason!

The beach is always quite as it is in a secluded spot; it is called "black sands" by the locals I never did ask why.

The cattle in the night had realised that we were in the field and came over to investigate our tents, I good tip is to tie plastic bags on the ropes as the cattle will not stand on them!

The bull came down as well and I have to say that I would not pick a fight with him! Also there were some young cattle that came down with their mother, they looked funny and got startled very easily. It was amusing to see how they scratch themselves on trees, spending 5 minutes nodding up and down there body's on the stiffer branches. When they had gone I went to collect some firewood for the day, We the cattle had been scratching themselves they would be a pile of broken dry dead wood perfect for the fire!

Evening had arrived and the swallows were flying up and down the river next to us catching insects out of the air, how they fly so fast and eat at the same time is beyond me. They fly with such precision. It was definitely time to get out the replant before I got bitten loads the midges up here have a fierce bite!

The weather had changed over the last hour and it had got cold, but that did not stop us all going down the beach for a spot of sea fishing. I have never caught a fish before and was up for the challenge. I never thought that fishing was so relaxing, as we cast out in to the sea we noticed a grey bump in the water that suddenly vanished. A few moments later it popped up closer to us, it was a seal taking all our fish! We carried on regardless but the seal most have eaten them all :(.

It was time for tea and a night cap ready for tomorrow.

the view from the tent