Day 5-- Munich

Munich Travel Blog

We toured Munich and the Bavarian Alps today. There was great great shopping, and that's what we spent a good portion of the day doing. I bought a necklace to match my prom dress and three new club shirts. They are pretty fancy but were very cheap. After shopping, we went to Dachau. It was sad, but not like I expected, probably because it was a concentration camp, not a death camp. It was raining, which seemed appropriate. We saw where the barracks stood, and went inside a "demo" barrack. We saw the cremation chamber, which was never used. The biggest part of Dachau was the museum, and reading all the accounts of the Holocaust, and the things that went on inside the camp. It was sickening.

For dinner, we went to a beer house. We weren't allowed to drink, though, because later we went to the Hofbrauhaus. At the beer house (not Hofbrauhaus, the one we ate at), in the women's bathroom, instead of having sanitary napkins or tampons, they sold sex toys and g-strings. Swear to God. I bought a g-string, not that I'd ever wear a g-string that I bought in a beer house bathroom. But it's a fun souvenier.  After dinner we went to the Hofbrauhaus. They had steins the size of your head. A few of us went in to check it out, and then went shopping and nightseeing (that's what I call sightseeing at night when nothing's actually open to see). In the Hofbrauhaus, the waitresses wore traditional German clothing, and the band wore leiderhosen and played polkas. We shopped and I bought more disposable cameras. When we went back to Hofbrauhaus, we met the rest of the group outside. Everyone was soooo shitfaced. Joe said to me, "I'm not drunk. I know where we went yesterday. We went... we went... we went to Auschwitz!" So he kind of mushed Austria and Dachau together. But it was really funny, even though it shouldn't have been. No one wants to be in Auschwitz, even so many years later.

Eric says:
I loved Munich -- went there for Oktoberfest in 2004. Sounds like you had a good time.
Posted on: Apr 12, 2007