This is my Estonia

Estonia Travel Blog

The Tallinn Song Festival Grounds.
When you take a trip to somewhere and spend about two, three weeks there, or maybe more, it is quite easy to describe what you saw and talk about your image of that place. But how can you describe your own home country?

I have quite a lot of foreign friends. When I met most of them and introduced myself and said that I'm from Estonia, their reaction was mostly huh!? Estonia is a really small country in the Northern Europe and most of the world hasn't even heard about us. There is only about 1.5 million of us, Estonians.

We are lucky to have all four seasons here - cold and snowy winter, beautiful spring, warm and sunny summer and colourful autumn. The nature is very beautiful and luckily we don't have a lot of big towns, the nature is important to us and we don't want to destroy it.
Sunset in Loksa, a little town in the north coast.
I especially like our deep, deep forests. This year I even saw a fox and two goats. They seemed to like it here.

The capital city is Tallinn where I also live. We have a very beautiful Old Town with houses from the Middle Ages. There is a lot to see here. I would definately recommend the Open Air Museum where you can see old farm houses and not only see how the life was back then but try it out yourself too. The other place I enjoy is the botanical garden, this is perfect to take some time off and have a picnic.

I actually do like all the other bigger towns as well because they are small and life there is so much more relaxed than in the capital city. You can feel it in the air. Tartu is famous for Tartu University, the oldest one in Estonia. Pärnu is known for it's beach, it is called a summer capital. Haapsalu, Viljandi and many more - all great!

Now that I've been around Europe a bit, I finally get it how different Estonia is from most of the other European countries. Here we don't have the multicultural metropolitan life. Maybe it is mostly because of the fact that Estonia was under Russian occupation until 1991. We've had a rough history but that makes us even more proud of our country.
The Tallinn Song Festival Grounds.
Sunset in Loksa, a little town in …
Sunset in Loksa, a little town in…
Tallinn University.
Snowy Tallinn.
Tartu.
Tartu.
Grandmas old coffee pot.
Grandma's old coffee pot.
Keila-Joa (Keila Falls).