Lots of penquins!

Stanley Travel Blog

Arriving in the Falklands

We were to meet in the casino at 8:45 for our “Sparrow Cove” penguin tour. As per normal, we gave ourselves more time than needed and set the alarm for 6:45. We ordered room service breakfast to be delivered between 7:00 and 7:30. Unfortunately, I set my watch as a backup and screwed up the time zone for the alarm so we were up at 5:45! I got ready and ate with Vic in the Horizon Court while Lin loafed.

We were taken in a dedicated launch directly from the ship to a dock dedicated to the penguin visit. There were only 12 on the launch and we were joined at the pier by 12 more in another launch from the Crystal Infinity which was also anchored in the bay. The 24 of us were loaded into 4 Land Rovers for a 20-25 minute ride to the penguin site.

Sparrow's Cove
We were in car #1 with Adrian, the owner of the 10,000 acre farm and the operation and I ended up in the front seat. It had rained during the night so the ground was quite muddy and the drive, over very uneven ground, was a riot! When he dropped us at the penguin site, Adrian said he'd be back in about an hour to pick us up.

There were some other people there already but not a lot. However, there were a LOT of Gentoo penguins! Many were huddled together in an area we could not approach too closely but many others were where they and we could mingle. We were told we could not touch them but could allow them to touch us. A couple were interested in Linda and pecked at her pants and jacket. Someone said that if you open your legs they'll walk through.

Hi!
I did and one did. However, he pecked at the inside of my thigh. It didn't hurt but I decided to put an end to that before things got out of hand! We walked around quite a bit and I took a lot of pictures. They had a little hut where they provided tea, coffee and homemade cookies and cakes so we ducked in there a bit to get warm. An hour later, Adrian returned and drove us back to the pier from which the launch returned us directly to the ship. We'd been told that by the time we got back we'd no longer need tender tickets but when we got to the embarkation port we were sent to the Explorer for tickets. An hour later we got to shore. Ugh; I hate tender ports!

The town of Stanley is very bright and picturesque. We'd been told by Adrian that the Globe Tavern would be "chockablock" so we ate in the Victory Bar.

I had curry chicken which I liked; Lin had fish and chips that she didn't. We walked around together for a while but eventually I continued on my own while Lin went back to shop. Meeting on the pier at 3, we headed back to the ship.

Before dinner we danced in the Wheelhouse for a while and were just thinking about checking out the Explorer's when we were invaded by a boisterous crowd from NYC. That tipped the balance and we bailed. Nellie and Andy from Toronto joined us and we danced a few numbers but were not delighted with the music. Andy said they were going back to the to the Wheelhouse so we returned with them.

After dinner, Lin wanted to go to a Gaucho show in the Princess Theater. I wasn’t crazy about the idea but went along. It was positively TERRIBLE! We walked out and returned to the Wheelhouse where we danced until just before midnight.

We saw a bit of the island outside of town while visiting the penguin colony.  The volcanic origin, strong winds and generally dismal weather make for a pretty bleak landscape which, nonetheless (or maybe as a result), has a certain charm.  We were fortunate in that we has beautiful sunny weather while we were in Stanley.  The sun really brought out the bright colors of the building walls and roofs, contrasting vividly with the island itself.  As might be expected, there is a strong British flavor to the town, right down to the picket fences and flower gardens.  To paraphrase the clichĂ©, it's a nice place to visit but I think I'd go out of my mind if I lived there.
Arriving in the Stanley
Active mine field from the war!
Active mine field from the war!
Sparrow's Cove
I told you to come straight home!…
"I told you to come straight home…
War Mamorial, Stanley