La Boca, Recoleta and the Tango Show

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

La Boca

Because we were booked for a city tour, we put in a wakeup for 7:00 but I was awake at 6:30 anyway. After breakfast in the concierge lounge we headed for the lobby where we met Frank & Pat. The four of us got on the first bus and Gus & Val caught up later. We had a great guide who went by "Big Maria" since there is apparently a small one on staff as well. She was both well-informed and entertaining as hell. We saw a LOT of the city and stopped twice. At La Boca we stopped at Caminito where Lin and I bought 2 paintings from street vendors. We only had a 20 minute stop and, in retrospect, I'd have given up some of the rest of the tour for more time at La Boca; it was absolutely charming. The second stop was at the cemetery at Recoleta where the principal mission was a visit to the tomb of Eva Peron.

Eva Peron's tomb
The cemetery was much like that at Pere Lachaise in Paris and it, too, deserved more time. I was shocked to see how modest Evita's tomb was!

At the end of the tour we chose the option to be dropped at the 1000 block of Calle Florida to do some sightseeing and shopping in this pedestrian shopping street. Our first stop was H. Stern's where Lin bought an Inca Rose pendant. I then bought a fantastic pair of sheep skin shoes at Frenkel's and a wonderful leather jacket at a great price at Casa Lopez. After lunch at Florida Garden Café, we walked the length of Florida and back to the hotel where we danced a tad in the room to a CD we had bought on Calle Florida before preparing for dinner.

After a glass of wine in the bar we met the bus for the dinner and Tango show we’d booked.

El Viejo Almacén
The others did not show up until our bus was full so we were separated for the evening. The dinner and show were at La Viejo Almacén. Dinner was OK but the show, in a small theater or cabaret across the street, was one of the best I’ve seen in my life; fantastic music and dance. I was wishing the show would never end and afterwards I bought both a CD and a DVD. The thing I really dislike about dinner shows is watching the show while sitting sideways at a dinner table. Since the two venues were separate, this was, for me, an ideal situation. All good things must end, however, and we were soon back in the room where we watched a bit of the DVD before Lin went to bed and I wrote in the dark.

Eva Perons tomb
La Boca
La Boca - We bought some artwork f…
La Boca - We bought some artwork …
La Boca - ... and from him