En Las Pampas

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Estancia La Fortuna

We set a wakeup for 7:00 and I was up at 6:54. Strange how that happens. The concierge lounge was closed so we were told we could eat for free in the hotel's main restaurant. Breakfast was also included with the Princess tour package but being on the concierge level meant we didn't have to eat with hordes of people.

Speaking of hoards, today we had a Gaucho Tour. We were to meet a bus at 9:00 and were in the lobby at 8:45 with Frank & Pat appearing a few minutes later. Gus & Val opted out. There were at least 3 buses leaving our hotel. Our guide, "Freddy", in his limited English said we had a 2 hour bus ride to the estancia. He started talking about their popular morning drink, mate and passed around a can of the mate herbs for inspection.

Estancia La Fortuna
He then demonstrated how to make and drink the stuff using a common "straw". He tried to get us to drink it and, of course, everyone declined. I guess we worry about germs a lot more than they do.

We drove west on route 7, which Freddy says is the Pan American highway going from Argentina to Alaska. After about 1-1/2 hours we stopped for a 25 minute potty break and met about 6 or 8 more busses, all from Princess and all going to the estancia. Many were of people who will be coming off the ship tomorrow.

In total, the trip was a lot closer to 3 hours than 2. The estancia, La Fortuna, was very nice and the people were great but I'm afraid the whole thing shouted "tourist". They had lots to eat and drink, though, and the food and service were superb.

Plaza 25 de Mayo and La Casa Rosada
Because of the "Gaucho" tag, I'd expected the show to be something of a rodeo but it was primarily dancing. There was, however, one horseback competition where pairs of riders raced to capture a jewel or some such thing suspended from something that looked like a small football goal post. They did this by spearing it with something that looked like a small pencil.

We were back at the hotel at about 5:20. Lin went to the room while I rushed down to La Plaza de Mayo for some pictures. Plaza de mayo is in front of the Casa Rosada or Pink House. It was from the balcony of this building that the Juan and Eva Peron addressed the crowds gathered in the plaza.

We packed until about 7, then joined the others in the bar. For dinner, the concierge recommended Siga La Vaca in Puerto Madero so we set off once again in 2 taxis.

Tha gang at Estilo Campo
Our driver said Siga La Vaca wasn't so great and when we arrived it really didn’t look too special so we walked until we came across Estilo Campo, a steak house that turned out to be fantastic. Even the manager had pretty weak English and my poor Spanish was about all we had on our side so ordering was an adventure, especially since I'd even forgotten my dictionary. However, dinner and service were both spectacular. My steak, called lomo in Spanish, was filet mignon and was outstanding! For all of this, including dessert and lots of wine, the bill was only about $US60 per couple! The waiter ordered 2 taxis and they arrived at the door just as we did. Neither driver spoke English and neither seemed to know the hotel at first but here, at least, my Spanish came through.

Back in the room, we finished packing, had the bags out by about 11:30, and hit the rack at midnight.

Estilo Campo