Harbour Bay&Nagoya VS Harbour Front&Orchard Road

Batam Travel Blog

Nagoya, Batam
From Singapore to Batam, I have to go to Harbour Front Ferry Terminal to take ferry to Batam. If go to Bintan, then Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal is the place. With return ticket, the fare is SGD 48. A bit expensive. About 1 hour journey, I arrived Harbour Bay, Batam. The sea was black in colour and the smell was awful. The shore was full of rubbish and it did give me bad impression about Batam. After the immigration, I went to Nagoya by taxi. I have difficulty to count money in Indonesian Rupiah currency. Too big the figure. I have no plan to do in Batam, neither Nagoya. I just try to walk around in Nagoya. I simply asked the taxi driver stopped by Lucky Plaza.
Nagoya, Batam
There is nothing special about that plaza, soon I moved to opposite shopping mall called Nagoya Hill plaza. There is a Matahari department store inside. I bought some clothes from there, it's really cheap. After my lunch there, I decided to go to Vihara Budhi Bhakti Temple to do prayer. After took some pictures from there, I start to feel Batam is very boring. There is nothing much to do in Batam, except massage, shopping, eating and prostitution. I'm not really confident the purity of the massage service there, so I didn't try. Prostitution too is against my will and principle. There is a motor taxi too in Batam. It's worth to try for a short distance, it's cheap but dangerous. I wore no helmet during the journey, it freaked me out, but at the same, I'm very excited. Their traffic was terrible and it's not friendly to pedestrian.
Nagoya, Batam
Taxi is plenty and cheap, so there is no need to walk, if the distance is far and you don't know the place. Taxi drivers here are helpful and honest, but they all offered to drive me to "massage centre" which irritated me. After one shopping mall to another shopping mall, I decided to go back to Singapore before dusk. After night, Batam is no longer safe to me to walk alone in the street. Forget to mention that, Indonesia is one hour slower than Singapore, it did confused me a lot. After went back to Singapore, I barely can make a comparison between them. Harbour front is a modern ferry terminal that connects to two big shopping malls. The nearest Sentosa Island is nice. The sea was clean and clear. I went back to my hotel to take a shower before I went to Cathay Shopping mall, Orchard Road to watch Friday 13th. Not much people in the cinema, I like it. While the movie freaking me out and the atmosphere-the "empty" cinema and air condition-of the cinema gave me the goosebumps. But again I saw no ghost. After that movie, I walked back to my hotel without taking MRT to try my luck again. Failed but I enjoy the walk anyway.
Batam