Yellow Submarines, Bangers, Mash, and Ferrari's

Blackpool Travel Blog

The Yellow Submarine
Today was the beginning of one of the best parts of the trip. I didn’t know where exactly we were going, who we were meeting up with, or what we would be doing for the next two days. All I knew was that I was on a train going to the airport to fly to Liverpool, England, boyhood home to the Beatles.

I was looking forward to leaving Paris, but not France. I had grown pretty attached over the course of this summer. Fortunately, I know I will be back and I’ll be armed with even more French.

After a hike clear across one of the largest airports in the world (not to mention my least favorite in the world), we found our gate and boarded our plane. We flew the airline easyJet, one of the low cost carriers that charges for everything like Ryanair.
Clark in front of the airport
However, the plane was a lot more comfortable than Ryanair, the food prices were much more reasonable, and we didn’t even have to pay for our bags.

We landed in a windy, sunny Liverpool on time and we soon found ourselves standing outside the airport next to a giant yellow submarine. They sure do love their Beatles. Sarah also informed us of the plan for the two days we had in England. Her friend, Becky, had gone to high school with her back in PA and just recently moved back to her original home in England. The first night we would be staying at her grandparent’s house just outside of the town of Blackpool and the second night at her aunt’s house just outside of Preston.
Blackpool
I went in expecting nothing and was rewarded by a wonderful, English experience.

Becky and her grandpa picked us up in Liverpool and drove us back to their town of Blackpool. We dropped our stuff off at the countryside home and made our way downtown. I never knew the city of Blackpool even existed so I had no clue what to expect. Turns out, this place is almost exactly like Myrtle Beach or any other seaside town full of rides, games, candy, and other activities. It is even home to the second tallest roller coaster in Europe!

Clark and I both went crazy when we saw this. After sitting in a car for over an hour, we were like kids in a candy store. We bought a bunch of “Blackpool rock” (aka huge candy sticks, rhubarb and custard flavor) and went to a huge arcade. The girls played a few with us but mainly just watched us two burn all of our energy.
Clark and Sarah enjoying the arcade
Once we realized that we had had enough of being ten years old again, we went out to lunch at a nice little café and ordered Tsing Tao’s and burgers. The waitress, a 60 year old lady, was one of the most energetic and entertaining waitresses I have ever had. She was very friendly and loved the fact that we were visiting Blackpool from the US.
After dinner, we took the Blackpool train to Becky’s other grandparents house in the small town of Cleveleys. We met most of her family and spent about an hour in a traditional British home. Afterwards, we went to their local pub to eat once again (recurring theme here, I ate A LOT of food here).

The Bay Horse is a typical English pub with beer and lots of food, mainly English dishes. Being still extremely full from the lunch we had two hours prior, I was planning on just having a drink.
Bangers and Mash!
That all changed when I saw “Bangers and Mash” on the menu.

I had seen and heard a lot about the dish, but I never knew what exactly it was. At that point, all I knew was that I had to have it. It sounds unappetizing, but it consists of three huge English sausages (bangers), a few scoops of mashed potatoes (mash), and peas, all served inside of a Yorkshire pudding (which is actually a pastry). It was delicious and I actually couldn’t finish it all like I usually do. This dish could’ve fed an army.

After the bangers and mash encounter, we met back up with Becky’s family at one of their friend’s homes (Becky had only just moved back about three days before we got there). The family we visited owned a ritzy hotel on the strip in Blackpool and they were pretty well off. The house was gorgeous and the food, beer, and wine were free-flowing.
Hanging out by the Ferrari
Then we went to the garage.

Out comes a Ferrari. A bright red Ferrari. Clark and I just stared at each other and gave the “what are we doing here” looks. Again, we looked like two kids in a candy store, ready to pounce. I had never met anyone with a car like this one and it was very exciting so see it up close and ask questions about it. The owner said he had a passion for cars and ever since he was a little kid he had dreamed of owning a red Ferrari. Childhood dream come true.

Around 11:00pm, we made our way back out to the country to Becky’s grandparent’s home where we were staying. We ended up staying up until 1:00am telling stories of our trip to Becky’s grandparents over tea and biscuits (which are actually chocolate bars, ours were kit-kats tonight). Overall, it was a great first day in Blackpool and I was looking forward to waking up the next morning and continuing the English adventure.
photo by: klaaRA