Just Touched Down in London Town

London Travel Blog

My first hostel bed!
I love to travel simply because of the things you learn and new experiences you encounter. My first major experience happened to be on my over night flight last night. After spending a total of seven hours sitting around the airport, my flight to London was delayed another hour because of mechanical issues and they had to find a new plane.

Once on board, I realized that, even though I travel often, I had never been on an overnight flight by myself. I was worried I would sit next to some 400 pound man or someone that snored and drooled everywhere. Luckily, a cute blond sat down next to me. See seemed pretty nervous so I decided I’d break the ice considering I would be sleeping next to her.
View from my room
I introduced myself and then she immediately fell asleep. I just settled in for the seven hour journey.

Then came dinner. My neighbor, Lauren, woke up and we both ordered the pasta. All we needed were candles and we had a perfect blind date going. We began talking and shared travel stories while we ate. She is staying in London for the week to visit friends and hails from Ohio. She was young, I’d guess mid to late 20’s. As for the food, it was terrible. Some sort of over-salted super processed cheese tortellini, a salad (aka four leaves of lettuce and a cucumber), some crackers and cheese, and a packaged brownie. Needless to say I had a stomach ache when I went to sleep.

I normally can’t sleep on planes but I somehow managed to get a solid five hours of it in and woke up for breakfast (which consisted of a rock hard bagel and a banana).
House of Parliment
I got another hour of sleep after that and woke up over London. Passport control and Immigration went flawlessly and I was on the famed London Tube within 20 minutes of getting off the plane.

I have read many travel stories and it seems as if one of the more important things to do while abroad is to try to blend in and not act like a tourist. I think I did a pretty decent job this morning. I bought my tube ticket, put on my ipod, and acted as if I was a native Brit. The only thing giving me away was my massive backpack.
On the tube, I began to people watch. About 10 minutes into the ride, a rather large man sat across from me and whipped open a bag of chips. I noticed that the design of the bag was the same as the "Lay’s" bags in the US, but instead of saying “Lay’s”, they were called “Walker’s”.
Big Ben
Then I checked out what flavor they were and to my amazement, “Roasted Chicken”. You’ve got to love the little things you notice. Sure enough, about a minute after he opened this bag of Walker’s Roast Chicken chips, the whole tube smelled like a rotisserie chicken.

I took the tube to Hyde Park where I am sitting right now. The weather is perfect and I feel pretty well rested. I don’t have any plans for today except stop by a grocery store to get some food and then go check in to my hostel. It’s going to be quite a hike to the hostel because some of the tube workers are on strike which results in the station next to my hostel being closed today. Overall, it’s been a great start!

I spent the rest of the day meandering from Hyde Park to my hostel in Pimlico.
London Eye
I had no time constraints or purpose so I took my sweet time. I never realized how confusing London is until I did this. Streets go in every direction imaginable and the street signs are tiny square placards placed high up on buildings at intersections. I made a stop to pick up a sandwich and some snacks for the weekend. Finally around 1pm, I found the hostel, however, I couldn’t check in until 2pm. I found a nearby bench and struggled to keep my eyes open. The jet lag was beginning its attack on me, slowly, but surely. After a short snooze on the bench, I decided I would just try to check in early.

Now most people in my situation I’d imagine would be nervous that they would get lost in London or get their wallet stolen. My biggest concern was losing my hostel virginity.
I just thought this was funny
I had heard so many stories about these places ranging from robberies to wild parties. I didn’t know what to expect. I walked in and check in went smoothly, except for the fact that my room is just about at the top of the building. I trudged up the stairs, my backpack feeling like a small human sitting on my back. Finally, I made it and fell straight to sleep (after an extremely thorough brushing of my teeth). Just woke up about 30 minutes ago from a well deserved nap.

The room I am in has 6 beds made up of 3 sets of bunk beds. A pillow and sheets are included as well as a shower and toilet. The simplicity is perfect. The showers are clean and hot and the bed is reasonable. It is definitely worth the $20 per night.

St. Pauls Cathedral
St. Paul's Cathedral
Had to take a picture of a red dou…
Had to take a picture of a red do…
Tower Bridge
Tower Bridge
Shakespeares Globe Theater
Shakespeare's Globe Theater
Big Ben again
Big Ben again
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
I was bummed that this was as clos…
I was bummed that this was as clo…
The street my hostel is on