Takin' it Easy

Dublin Travel Blog

The pub below the hostel
So much for seven girls. I was just relaxing and reading on my bed when I heard a knock, and sure enough, a 50 year old German man from Hamburg was staying in the room tonight. Oh well. Life goes on. Plus there are six more people coming.

I walked around Temple Bar some more and found a post right in the middle to people watch. I saw everything. Groups of partiers dressed alike (like the smurfs) to tourists. Surprisingly, I have seen only a limited amount of homeless people so far between London and Dublin. I went back to my room around 11pm to call it a night.

When I got back, there were three more girls in the room speaking French. We chatted for a bit in frenglish but they were more than ready to go to bed.
My room
One weird thing about this hostel is that there is only one key per room and you have to open the door for those coming in. Since the French girls were sleeping and the German was snoring away, I assumed the position of doorman. Just as I was about to fall asleep I heard a knock. I got up and answered wearing nothing except my boxers. And sure enough it was a Canadian.

For those of you that don't know by now, I have a strange love/hate relationship with Canadians. The younger generation of Canadians are the ones I love. They know how to have fun and are some of the nicest people in the world. As for the older generation (The hockey-loving eh-sayers), I, for the most part, cannot stand. Angie, from Victoria, BC, was one of the younger ones. She thought it was hilarious when I answered the door and we chatted for a bit before we fell asleep.
Ton's of these all over Dublin

However, sleep was hard to come by. As I mentioned before, this hostel sits upon a bar and the Irish tend to party 24/7/365. Needless to say it was loud. Add a snoring 50 year old German on top of that and you've got yourself a difficult sleeping situation to say the least. Eventually, it occurred and I woke up drooling in the morning.

Angie and I had breakfast together in the hostel. She was on her way to see family in Cork and had been studying in Wales for a whole year. She is heading back to Canada next week. We talked about the big differences between the generations of Canadians and what not. It was a fun conversation, however, she had a bus to catch and we parted ways. As for me, I was headed to one of the most famous brewery's in the world and Ireland's #1 tourist attraction.
Palm trees in Ireland!

The Guinness brewery was built in 1759 and is celebrating its 250 year anniversary this year. It was about a two mile walk from the hostel to the brewery. Interesting note, I was asked three times on the way for directions to various Dublin sites. I must really look like a local or something. The tour cost 15 Euros and included a free pint of brewery-fresh Guinness. The tour was self guided and very interesting. I'll let the pictures tell most of the story. The brewery itself is going no where soon, as Arthur Guinness (the founder) signed a 9,000 year lease on the brewery.

At the end of the tour, you enter straight into the Gravity Bar. The Gravity Bar is at the top of the brewery and offers 360 degree views of Dublin. Plus a free pint of Guinness. I plopped down and just relaxed.
Trinity College
I was afraid I wouldn't like the beer, however, I did. It wasn't nearly as thick as I had expected (they also say it tastes different in Dublin, for the better). About halfway through my beer, someone approached me and asked if I wanted their ticket. I wasn't about to refuse. I spent about an hour just sitting and enjoying the views and the beer.

This afternoon has been lazy. It has started to rain and the beer has made me pretty drowsy. No plans for tonight except for packing up and getting ready for another travel day, this time to France. I'll be all over France until July 2/3ish.

Sorry I haven't gotten any pictures up yet from Ireland, but I've been using a computer in an internet cafe therefore I don't have them with me. My hostel in Nice has free wifi so I will put them up and make my next blog entry once I arrive tomorrow afternoon!
addictedtosno says:
you're pretty much the luckiest person i know... free beer, free bus rides... jealous!
Posted on: Jun 03, 2009
My room
Tons of these all over Dublin
Ton's of these all over Dublin
Looking East
Looking East
Looking North
Looking North
The Brewery area, older than the U…
The Brewery area, older than the …
THE Temple Bar
THE Temple Bar
This is the place I stayed in
This is the place I stayed in
The Oliver St. John Gogarty, dont…
The Oliver St. John Gogarty, don'…
Last view down the River Liffey