Swimming, Clubbing, and More Eating

Preston Travel Blog

Inside Becky's grandparents house where we slept the first night
Clark and I (along with a cat) shared a bed in the quaint English country home. We woke up, turned the TV on, and watched the British open live being played just a few hours away. I don’t usually watch golf but I thought this morning called for it. Again, having no clue what was happening that day, Clark and I blindly began another adventure.

We all indulged ourselves in a late breakfast. Becky’s grandma cooked up pounds of bacon, eggs, toast, and tea. Right after we finished, Becky’s cousin Sophie, picked us up an informed us we were going to lunch. More food. This time it was for English “Carvery” at the restaurant known as “The Squirrel”.

Carvery is another English tradition. You had your choice of sliced ham, turkey, or beef, along with vegetables, Yorkshire’s, and all the toppings you can handle.
The TV room with the beanbags and TV
It wasn’t as good as the bangers and mash, but it was still a very good lunch. Afterwards, we made our way to Sophie’s home in Preston, again, not knowing what to expect.

Turns out, everyone had failed to tell Clark and I about the house we would be staying in. It was fully equipped with tennis courts, an indoor swimming pool, and a massive TV room for Clark and I to sleep in just to name a few things. This gigantic home is located in the rolling hills of the English countryside about 15 miles from the city of Preston. We spent the afternoon getting to know the family (and their six cats) as well as spending some time in the pool and steam room. Even though the weather that day was very English (rainy, cool), we had a great time inside.
View from the TV room windows

Then dinner came. The girls had gone out while we watched the big screen TV in our room. They returned with local fish and chips, wrapped in newspaper to keep the grease in. We opened our present up and sure enough, a massive piece of deep fried cod along with thick, greasy French fries, took over my senses. I loaded ketchup on everything and consumed one of the most fattening, greasy, and delicious meals of my life. Fish and chips are everywhere in England, but we were told that what we had is the traditional thing. Needless to say, I had to take a nap before going out that night.

That night, the plan was to go into Preston for some clubbing. Clark and I wouldn’t have minded just staying in on the massive bean bags and watching ESPN, but we decided to join the girls. I got as dressed up as possible (which isn’t saying much, most of my clothes are showing a lot of wear and tear from constantly wearing and washing them) and soon found myself heading downtown with Clark and the girls (Becky and Sophie brought some of their friends).

Preston was pretty wild that Thursday night since it was student night. Drinks were one pound and the clubs were packed, even though it was still rainy and cold outside. We hopped between three clubs until the early hours of the morning. Once we returned back to the house, we stayed up even longer playing around in the TV room and having a good time. I don’t remember what time I went to sleep, but I woke up in a ball inside of one of the massive bean bags that litter the TV room.
reger1520 says:
Glad you are enjoying it. A year later I think my arteries are finally clear...hopefully!
Posted on: Jul 11, 2010
tigertanaka says:
Really enjoying your blog and interesting to read your views on Blackpool and Preston (my hometown). Hope your arteries are OK after the greasy breakfasts, roast dinners, bangers & mash and fish & chips!
Posted on: Jul 11, 2010
Inside Beckys grandparents house …
Inside Becky's grandparents house…
The TV room with the beanbags and …
The TV room with the beanbags and…
photo by: tridantri