EuropeMaltaQawra

Relaxing Times in Malta

Qawra Travel Blog

The White Dolphin from the street
Since I hadn’t been the one who decided to come to Malta and I was just tagging along, I figured I would spend my time in the sun by the pool and the sea. CS decided to head to the capital, Valletta, for the afternoon. I didn’t feel like visiting more churches and busy cities in the heat so I stayed behind. I grabbed some ice cream and did some grocery shopping in our seaside town before making my way to the beach. Most of the beaches in Malta are made of smooth rock and ladders leading from the rock into the water cover the island.

Just before CS returned, I put my culinary skills to work and whipped up some burgers and pasta salad, which we all enjoyed on the balcony along with Cisk, the Maltese national beer.

The next day, the 11th, was much like the previous.
The rocky beach
CS went horseback riding (I had had enough of that after Egypt) so I again spent the entire day relaxing on the beach and browsing through the throngs of tourist shops. It was Sarah’s turn to make dinner and we indulged in a delicious chicken and rice dish.

That night, we were planning to meet Christina, the sister of CS’s friend that we were originally planning to stay with. She was born and raised in Malta and had a thick accent. The accent’s are like none other I’ve heard but they are great to listen to. English and Maltese are the two official languages of the country.

She and another one of her brothers, Damian, picked us up. We got to know each other and spent a relaxing night in a park having a few drinks and sharing stories. The three of us took a taxi back home around midnight.
Looking out from the beach

The next morning, July 12th, I woke up in a panic. I couldn’t find my wallet. I always check for all of my valuables in the morning before heading out for the day. Not only was my wallet missing, but also my sunglasses and camera. I searched the condo for nearly an hour. I was finally able to calm myself for a moment and write down everything valuable I had in there (I also thought to myself it’s a good thing I’m nearly broke and only had five Euro cash). I went down to the computer room and began looking up numbers for Mastercard, American Express, the DMV, etc.

As soon as I had all the numbers I needed and was just about to begin the calling, Clark comes walking in the room with my sunglasses on. Those, along with my wallet and camera, were in his backpack.
The view from our balcony
At some point after the cab ride the previous night, I must have put all my belongings in there. Needless to say, the relief was amazing. In celebration, I grabbed some more ice cream and went back to the beach to relax.

Having a kitchen in the condo was amazing as well. For lunch, I used leftover bread and cheese from burger night to make grilled cheese. For dinner, Clark whipped up some tacos. After another six hours on the beach, we headed back home to pack and sleep.

The morning of the 13th began with my alarm clock blaring at 9:00am to ensure we made it out of the room by the 10:00am check-out time. Since CS hadn’t packed the night before, I left them to do that while I spent my last hours by the pool. Our ride to the airport was to arrive at 11:30am so we had time to kill.
Boarding the Air Malta flight

Our ride arrived right on time and we said good bye to the White Dolphin Resort and enjoyed the short ride through the Maltese countryside back to the airport. After a quick change out of my wet bathing suit and a stop at good old KFC, we checked in for our Air Malta flight to Zurich continuing on Swiss Airlines to Paris to celebrate Bastille Day. Malta’s airport is small, but packed with stores and restaurants. They even have a Hard Rock Café there.

The flight to Zurich was great. It was smooth, I had an entire row to myself, and we were served a full lunch. We had an hour layover until our short flight over to Paris. We arrived on time, took the train into town, and walked over to our hotel. At night, we had yet another kebab for dinner and strolled around the area for about an hour. This time we are staying right near two of the main train stations for easy access to and from the airport. We are only spending one full day here before flying out again.

As for Malta, I was sad to leave the beautiful island and its friendly people. I don’t know if I’ll ever return simply because the Caribbean is a lot closer, but I will always remember it.
Over the Alps