Pasta, Sangria, and Shrimp Chips

London Travel Blog

Club On Anon at 2:30am
So much for a good night’s sleep. For five pounds, you could have all the pasta to eat and all the sangria to drink as you could handle. Not a bad deal. I began with a glass of sangria and chatted with two Americans, Scott and John, from the University of Connecticut. Two more people joined us eventually as the sangria started flowing, Robbie from New Zealand and Rowan from the Netherlands. My plan for the night consisted of eating and then going to bed, but that all changed over dinner.

John had visited Australia a few years prior and had a friend from that trip living in Ireland. They were planning on meeting up for a few drinks in Central London and he invited us to come along. Why not? So it was me, Scott, John, and Robbie hitting the streets and bars of London for the night.
Bar at Club On Anon
We took the tube to Picadilly Circus and met John’s friend, Catherine. We walked to a lively looking bar with a live band and some older people dancing, however, as soon as we ordered, the band stopped playing and almost everyone left. Oh well. We had a great conversation going on about this that and the other, and somehow the topic of Chinese beer came up. I told them they had to try Tsingtao. So off we went to Chinatown.

After a round of Tsingtao’s (none of them thought it was as amazing as I did), we decided it was dance time. Club On Anon. I knew it would be a great place when we were waiting in line and you could only come in if you had a girl in your group. So in we went. This place was massive. Nine bars and seven dance floors. Most of the music was hip hop with different techno beats to it.
Shrimp chips!
We all danced and met a few more people and had a few more drinks until we realized how tired we were. We left the club at 2:30am (mind you I just flew in that morning) for the tube. Pointer: Before going out note what time public transportation ends.

At this point it was just Me, Scott, and Robbie, the other two decided to stay a bit longer. We decided that walking would be out best option since cab’s are so expensive. We found a map that ended at Hyde Park and I assured them I could navigate us back from the park. They trusted me and off we went. We all shared stories and jokes and had a blast. 2:30am, walking the streets of London with two virtual strangers having the time your life, doesn’t get much better than this. We arrived at the hostel with no problems at around 3:15am and I went straight to bed.

Woke up this morning at what I thought was 9am with a wicked headache. That wasn’t going to stop me. My plan was to eat breakfast and then walk around London with Robbie and I told him I would meet him at 9:30am in the kitchen. It turned out I had set the clock an hour behind. Woke up at 10am, Robbie was knocking on my room at 10:15am wondering where I was. Missed breakfast because it ends at 10am. Luckily I had some food in my room I had bought yesterday. Originally, I was planning on just walking by myself but Robbie’s company was great. We talked about everything under the sun and I learned a lot about New Zealand and the Kiwi’s (Slang for a New Zealander). We walked everywhere. Parliament and Big Ben, Covent Garden, London Eye, London and Tower Bridges, Fleet Street (Where we witnessed some sort of protest by former workers of an insurance company who had just recently lost their jobs because they refused to work the new set hours they were given. We also witnessed the police breaking it up), Buckingham Palace, and Shakespeare’s Globe Theater. If I had to estimate I would say we walked a good 15 miles today. It was well worth it.

Robbie is currently traveling through Europe trying to find a place to work. In Australia and New Zealand, it is common for those just graduating university to spend up to a year in Europe. He had been to Amsterdam, Geneva, and Nice and is heading to Birmingham tomorrow morning.

After the walk and many rest breaks, I stopped at the Victoria bus station to purchase my bus ticket to the airport in the morning. I also decided to stop at a nearby Subway (yes, I know I work there but I was curious and hungry and it was cheap). I thought it was interesting that they really only promote six inch subs. I had to look for the footlongs and noticed in small print saying you could make any sandwich a footlong for two extra pounds. No wonder American’s get the obese stereotype. I also noticed another new type of “Walker's” chips. Prawn Cocktail. For those of you that don’t know, prawn’s are shrimp. As I write this, I’m pretty upset I didn’t buy a bag and I think it’s going to be on my to do list tomorrow at the airport. Currently, I am sitting in the lounge at the hostel talking to two girls from Chicago and another girl from New Zealand. It’s amazing how friendly and outgoing people are here.

For tonight, the plan is sleep, and lots of it. My bus is at 10am to London Stansted airport and the flight is at 3pm. I did a lot more than I had planned in London and actually had quite a bit of fun. Let’s see if everything goes as well in Ireland!

hancock826 says:
The Prawn Cocktail chips are pretty good. We tried them out of a vending machine when we were in London!
Posted on: Sep 23, 2009