Parisian Stereotypes

Paris Travel Blog

Eiffel Tower
Today began like all the others. A stomach ache and a croissant breakfast. Luckily, throughout the day my stomach aches taper off. We boarded the bus around 9:00am for the ride to Paris.

I slept until about noon when we were just reaching to outskirts of town. This is now my sixth time in Europe, but I have only been to Paris for a total of one day so I was looking forward to it, despite hearing that it was dirty, expensive, and full of rude people. We arrived from the west and were treated with views of the Eiffel Tower.

Around 1:30pm, we made our first Parisian stop: that famed tower. Droves upon droves of tourists stood underneath waiting for their opportunity to ride to the top, including our group.
Tourists waiting to go up
We waited for about 45 minutes to crowd into an elevator with tourists from all over the world. We had to change elevators at the second floor in order to make our way to the top. Unfortunately, this process isn’t the most orderly and we had to fight through the heat and other people to get into an elevator.

Once at the top, it was even more crowded. It definitely took away from the I’m-at-the-top-of-the-Eiffel-Tower atmosphere that I was hoping for. We took some pictures, signed our names, and decided to fight our way back down to the bottom. This was just the beginning of the Parisian adventure.

Around 4:00pm, we headed to the hostel to get settled and have some dinner. The hostel was located just a couple blocks from the Louvre and within walking distance to most of the other major sites.
Morgan and Hope on the second level
Unfortunately, there were no elevators, no A/c, and our room was on the fifth floor.

After moving in and a quick dinner, our group headed to the Seine for a farewell cruise. It also happened to be one of the girl’s 21st birthdays that day. We pretty much had a party on the boat. Champaign was being popped and drinks were flowing freely. It was a big celebration as we made our way past Notre Dame, an illuminated Eiffel Tower, and various other Parisian sites.

After a joyful bus ride back to the hostel full of signing and hugging, we decided to tag along with Bert and check out an Irish Pub just around the corner (there are tons of Irish Pubs all across Europe). We continued our boat celebration here until we decided to venture out to find a dance club.
Heading to the top
I had asked at the hostel where to best area in Paris was for that and the receptionist mention the Latin Quarter. Off we went.

At first, I thought it would just be a few of us heading over there. Then I realized about 20 people were following me. Great. About every two minutes, someone would complain we were going too far or they had to go to the bathroom or any other various complaints. Once we finally made it to the Latin Quarter (about a 15 minute walk), I found an interesting jungle-themed bar. We all decided to go in, but then half of the group decided they didn’t want to, then more bailed. I had finally found a place to go through the bickering but no one wanted to stay. I had no problems with anyone in the group and got along really well with them all, but traveling in a foreign country with that many people at night (and when they’ve had a few drinks) is nearly impossible.
Melissa and I at the top of the Eiffel Tower
It ended up being me, Matt, Sarah, Morgan, Heather (the birthday girl), and another random French guy named Flo that we somehow picked up at the hostel.

We decided to leave the jungle place in search of another bar. This was when I began to dislike Paris. The six of us made our way through the Latin Quarter in search of a fun place to hang out for the night. The first place we stopped at kicked us out because we didn’t order drinks immediately (mainly because a beer averaged about ten Euro). They weren’t friendly about it either. After that, we found a smaller, less crowded bar where we managed to find a beer for five Euro. Still way too expensive, but the best we had seen.

We stood outside and chatted with each other until a random guy selling roses approached us.
Craig, Sarah, Matt, and me on the boat
He was selling them for two Euro and was hounding Matt and I to buy them for the girls. I joked with him (like I usually do with annoying people selling random crap) and told him to give one to the birthday girl and I’d give him a Euro (I had already managed to get a free rose just before the boat cruise for Heather). After joking around and finally getting him down to a Euro, I told him I wasn't going to buy it. He was furious. He kept dropping the f-bomb and calling us stupid Americans and reminding us that selling roses was his job and he took it seriously. He got in everyone’s face and all we could do at the point was yell back. After a few minutes of arguing, we finally left without the Euro rose. This man was one of the rudest people I had ever met and there was no way I was giving him a penny of my precious money.
The birthday girl poppin' champaign
On went the night...

After that ordeal, we decided to head back to the hostel and just play some cards and relax. Unfortunately, there was a new receptionist, and he was almost as rude as the flower man. We walked in, chatting at about a normal level, and he got mad at us for being too loud. So we quieted down. But then we noticed that after almost every word we said, he would tell us to shut up and be quiet. We began playing cards and, not even talking, he continued to hush us. We got fed up with him and stormed out of the place in search of food, making as much noise as possible, thoroughly pissing him off. We thought he wasn’t going to let us back in later but he did. The only reason he wanted us to be quiet was so that he could sleep, as there were no rooms even close to the lobby.

After about an hour stroll through Paris around 3:00am, we found no food whatsoever except a Parisian café that promoted 44 Euro lobster tail. That wasn’t going to happen, so we went back to the hostel and went to sleep hungry and angry with the people and experiences we had encountered that night.
Heading to the top
Melissa and I at the top of the Ei…
Melissa and I at the top of the E…
Craig, Sarah, Matt, and me on the …
Craig, Sarah, Matt, and me on the…
The birthday girl poppin champaign
The birthday girl poppin' champaign