A Little History

Thierville-sur-Meuse Travel Blog

Entrance to the Museum
After a long day of class and a night out on the town, I was ready for an easy, laidback day. Having no class in the morning, I slept until lunch. Today we would be visiting the Verdun War Memorial in Verdun, France, site of one of the largest battles of World War I.

As I have already mentioned, I’m not a big church/history buff. Add war to that list. It is cool to see the battlefields and how the landscape was changed due to the war, but at the same time it makes me a bit sick. After an hour long bus ride, we pulled up to the museum. It was lined with guns, canons, and other war gear. There were pictures taken of the battle on display and a short film you could watch giving a brief overview. The battle of Verdun lasted nearly ten months and was fought between the Germans and French with the French ultimately coming away with victory.
Posing in front of a missle
Each side lost more than 300,000 soldiers.

After a stop at the museum, we headed towards the memorial site and the Ossuary. The memorial offered great views of the landscape and also held the graves of many of the soldiers. Underneath the memorial is the Ossuary (for those of you that don’t know, an Ossuary is a place where bones are kept). You could look into the windows and see piles upon piles of bones from unknown soldiers.

Then it was off to one of the French forts. It was extremely windy out but we still managed to trek across the battlefield above the fort. At first, I had no clue that we were walking on top of a fort because it was built so well to blend in with the landscape. I imagined what it would be like living in such a place with enemy fire all around. There were even plenty of bullet marks all across the field and fort that are still visible today.

We returned home around 6:30, just in time for dinner. Most of the group called it an early night, including myself, so we could get some sleep before another 8am class.
Memorial site