The Last Night in Berlin and More Metz Encounters

Berlin Travel Blog

Tiergarden
So far on the trip, I had spent at least one day in each city walking as far as my legs could take me. Today was Berlin's day. Off I went on my own to see what I could find. I left the hostel at 11:00am and told CS I would meet them at the Starbucks in front of the Brandenburg Gate at 5:30pm.

I first, unknowingly at the start, strolled into the upscale area. It was the same street every huge city has with Gucci, Louis, and D&G stores with fancy cars parked out front (especially in an automotive country like Germany). The street took me back to the zoo and Tiergarden area. I walked nearly five miles through this beautiful, massive park. Out I popped right in front of the Brandenburg Gate.
The University
From there, I found a huge kebab for lunch and walked past the large TV tower that dominates Berlin's skyline until I reached the bustling area where our pub crawl had started.

After an hour long nap in a park, I began the three mile walk back to the gate. I kept my eyes peeled for a market to grab some cheap water. Unfortunately, I found nothing. Then I checked the time, realized I had a half hour, and made my way to the massive Haptbahnhof, Berlin's main train station where we arrived a few days ago. It was finished in 2006 just in time for the World Cup that was held in Germany. When I stepped off of the train the first time, I had noticed it's immense size and I figured there had to be a market there. I walked past the Swiss Embassy and other German governmental buildings, across the river Spree, and into the station.
A church with the TV tower behind
Sure enough, tucked between a McDonalds and a shoe store, I found a market.

I walked back to the Starbucks from the station to meet with CS. One thing I noticed about Berlin is that they seemingly have more Starbucks than Seattle and more Dunkin Donuts than Boston. After a coffee break, CS wanted to walk back towards the TV tower and the pub crawl area. Even though I had just walked there and back, I didn't object as I still had a lot of energy. We walked all the way back and even found the graffiti filled courtyard with booze already flowing. We decided to take the S Bahn back home, change, return to the courtyard, and then catch the last train back that night so we wouldn't have to deal with another taxi.

After a quick turn around and a peanut butter and jelly dinner, we were on our way back.
My lunch, a kebab
We grabbed a drink and made our way up the graffiti stairs to check out some of the art galleries. The art was very interesting and a lot resembled the graffiti leading up. Then the craziest thing happened on our way down.

You know those people that just happen to show up no matter where you are? We had a classmate like that in Metz. You could be walking a back road at 2:00am in Metz and run into him. Barry, a fellow aviation student at UND and a classmate of mine in Metz, is that guy. And sure enough, I ran into him on those stairs in Berlin. We couldn't believe it. We both went crazy. I knew he was intending to come to Berlin but the last I had heard was that he couldn't get a train. Well he got one and was doing the same pub crawl we had done on the fourth. We hung out with Barry the rest of the time until we had to head back home. The world is so small.

We arrived home at 2:00am, packed, and went to bed, not looking forward to our 3:30am wake up call so we could make it to the airport. I will remember Berlin for its rich, complex history and the crazy times I had there with everyone we met up with. Germany, even though I don't speak a drop of German, was very inviting and their food/culture was one of my favorites so far.
Inside the massive Haptbahnhof
Inside the massive Haptbahnhof
The Haptbahnhof from outside
The Haptbahnhof from outside
The courtyard during the day
The courtyard during the day
Clark and Sarah
Clark and Sarah
Barry and I in the graffiti stairc…
Barry and I in the graffiti stair…
Berlin