Gettin' Loose in Luxembourg

Luxembourg Travel Blog

Picnic in the park before the train
Added a new country to my map today: Luxembourg. The day began with French class from 8:00am until 10:00am and then a Russians and Europeans class from 10:15am until 12:15pm. Exciting. After a very unsatisfying lunch of mystery meat, we headed back home from school and rested up before hopping on the train.

The train ride from Metz to Luxembourg is only about 40 minutes and cost 15 Euro roundtrip. I decided to just take my Eurail pass and hope no one would check it and as luck would have it, the pass never got checked so I had a free train ride!

Once we arrived around 4:30pm, we stopped at the information desk. When we decided we wanted to visit Luxembourg, we just left it at that and didn’t realize until we arrived that we had no clue what was in the country (I notice I keep using we.
The bridge towards downtown Luxembourg
We in this case is me, Faith, Lindsay, Craig, Katy, and John, most of them from Central Florida). We picked up a map and began our walk towards the main shopping/square/central area that most European cities have. The walk took us along a shopping street and then over a large valley into the heart of the city.

Once we arrived downtown, I seriously couldn’t tell I was in another country whatsoever. It reminded me of downtown Metz. It was shop after shop after café after café. After doing a couple of loops downtown, we ventured to a small park on the outskirts of town that overlooked one of the valleys. The lush green countryside accompanied by old bridges and the occasional passing train really reminded me that I’m still in Europe. It looked like a scene out of a travel book.
One of the valleys

Around 6:00pm, we headed back into town to...you guessed it: shop. Definitely one of the cons of being with 23 girls. However, to the avail of the men, all the shops closed at 6:00pm. Now what? We had seen practically the entire country in less than two hours but we didn’t want to go back to Metz. So we got some local Luxembourgish beer, found a bench in the main square, and did some people watching. The people in Luxembourg are pretty diverse and it seemed as if the majority were higher class business workers. I later confirmed that Luxembourg is a huge banking center and employees tend to make more money there compared to neighboring France and Germany.

Dinner in Luxembourg was half the trip. During our people watching event, we discussed what everyone was in the mood for.
Shopping
We were all throwing ideas off of one another until I remembered I saw a sushi place while we were walking around. Everyone’s faces lit up like Christmas morning and off we went. At the beginning of this whole trip I never would’ve pictured myself eating sushi in Luxembourg of all places. To top it off, the place was called Ichiban, the same name as my favorite sushi restaurant back in Virginia.

The friendly, English speaking waiter was so excited that six Americans were eating there and the whole time mentioned that he would give us a deal. I’ll let the picture do the talking about what we had, but we paid a grand total of 64 Euro (just over ten a person) for a massive amount of sushi. It wasn’t as good as Ichiban back home, but it was close.

After our sushi feast, we concluded it was time to head back to Metz as we were full and tired. We arrived home around 10:30pm happy and content. We all hung out for a bit in Craig’s room and Craig and I ended up buying our plane tickets to Egypt. A great ending to a great day.
Picnic in the park before the train
The bridge towards downtown Luxemb…
The bridge towards downtown Luxem…
The greenery with the old bridge