Germany, Here We Come!

Berlin Travel Blog

Today was pretty much a continuation of July 2. It began at 5:00am when we walked across the street from the park to the station, only to discover that our train to Lille had been cancelled and the next one left just after 6:00am. This also meant we would have a total of ten minutes to run between stations to catch our train back to Brussels.

At this point, I felt awful. Not in a sick way, but hygienically. I had spent the previous day sweating all afternoon in the heat, getting rained on, and then spending the night in a park. My toothbrush was also calling my name back in Brussels. I slept the entire hour train ride to Lille.

I woke up, not rested what so ever, and ready to run through Lille. We pulled into the Flandres station at exactly 7:20am. Our train left from the other station at 7:30am (and the trains are very punctual here). I’m sure we were a site to see running across the town that early in the morning. We made it to our platform at 7:28am, and off we went at 7:30am. We don’t know what we would’ve done if we had missed that train and luckily we didn’t have to find out.

We had a four hour layover in Brussels, which we spent in a corner curled up with our bags napping. Who knows what was going through the heads of the other travelers that passed us that morning. Our next train took us to Cologne, Germany (where I found an amazing German Pretzel for only 60 cents). We had a short 30 minute connection there, and then on to another train for the next four hours to Berlin. We went straight from the train station to our hostel, had a quick dinner, and went to bed. We enjoyed a well deserved night’s sleep in the Sleep Cheap Hostel.
addictedtosno says:
i'm so glad to hear everything is going well! it was so good talking to you this morning/your night :)
Posted on: Jul 06, 2009