A Final Amsterdam Good Bye

Amsterdam Travel Blog

The first thing you see in Amsterdam when you leave the station
I wasn’t planning on writing about my final Amsterdam excursion as I’m sure you and I are both becoming experts on the place. However, many unplanned and interesting events occurred during my one night stay.

The whole purpose for this final visit was due to the fact I had an early morning flight out of Amsterdam the next day and I felt more comfortable spending the night before in the city rather than somewhere else. I left Belgium a bit past 10:00am and slept on the entire train ride to Amsterdam (my fourth time this summer transiting between these two cities). I arrived at the White Tulip hostel just before 2:00pm and took a much needed nap.

Once I awoke, I decided to find one of the few things I had yet to see in Amsterdam: the I AMsterdam statue.
A small cafe tucked away in a park
It was a beautiful day without a cloud in the sky. So off I went, refreshed and energized, ready for another stroll through Amsterdam.

I couldn’t believe the weather. It was perfect. I managed to walk to the Museumplein, right next to the hotel I stayed at way back in the beginning of June. I had always wanted to see the I AMsterdam statue but never pursued it until now.

I spent nearly three hours walking around Amsterdam. I managed to find the statue and take a few pictures. One interesting thing I noticed that I hadn’t previously was a store called “The American Store”. They had tons of foods not for sale in Europe including peanut butter, Corn Pops, and Mountain Dew to name a few (like that rhyme?). I made it back to the hostel around 9:00pm and settled in for what I thought would be a relaxing, uneventful night.
Self-explanatory

Boy was I wrong. About ten minutes after I settled in, I heard someone yelling my name from outside. After a few more yells, I decided to check it out just in case. Two of my roommates, both American firefighters in Iraq, were yelling for me to come to the window. They were downstairs at the bar below our hostel with a bunch of other Americans. They had both left their keys and wallets in the room on accident and wanted me to toss them down. At the same time, everyone was trying to convince me to come down and have a drink. What the hell, why not I thought.

I ended up meeting people from all over. Ohio, Greece, Texas, New York, and good old Virginia. I decided I would go out clubbing with them for a few hours and then return for some sleep before my morning flight.
I found it!
At first, we struggled to find any place that was decent or that would even allow us guys in (it was about four girls and four guys). Many European clubs, especially in big cities, and very selective about who they let in and that night I wasn’t getting in anywhere. We all stuck together and found a fun, packed bar very near our hostel that we stayed at until it closed. Some of the crew continued on with the party while the rest of us returned to our hostels.

One of the few cons about staying in hostels is the nighttime. I hadn’t packed since I was called out at the spur of the moment so I attempted to at 2:00am. You feel very guilty disturbing your roommates late at night so I did it as quietly as possible. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find my flash light. To add to my misfortune, my flash light is a part of my alarm clock.
The statue
It was nowhere to be found. I couldn’t sleep without it otherwise I would miss my 5:45am wake-up call and my 8:30am flight. I didn’t have much of an option but to stay up and wait for my alarm to go off to find it.

It was a long night of surfing the internet and just thinking about all the things I have seen and done this summer. It is becoming hard to comprehend how long I’ve been travelling for and how one story always leads to another. And here I was, wide awake in a dark hostel room in Amsterdam with no alarm clock, adding on to the stories.
Sweetski says:
Fab story! :)
Posted on: Feb 21, 2010
The first thing you see in Amsterd…
The first thing you see in Amster…
Pretty cool