The End!

London Travel Blog

The alarm rang at 5:30am this morning, 12:30am on the east coast of the US. The return back to Heathrow was painless and I found myself at the gate two hours early. The trip is coming to an end.

I am typing currently on my flight back to New York, remembering the flight over, and still not believing that I’ve left Europe. The things I’ve seen, people I’ve met, and things I’ve learned will always stick with me. I thought I would end the blog with some cold, hard facts.

Actual Schedule:

May 21-23: London, UK
May 23-26: Dublin, Ireland
May 26-30: Nice, France
May 30-June 28: Study Abroad program through the University of North Dakota in Metz, France with visits to Strasbourg, Luxembourg, Verdun, Amsterdam, Cairo, Brussels, the D-Day beaches in Normandy, and finally Paris
June 28-June 30: Paris, France
June 30-July 2: Brussels, Belgium
July 2-July 3: Arras, France for an outdoor Coldplay concert
July 3-July 8: Berlin, Germany
July 8-July 13: Valletta, Malta
July 13-July 15: Back to Paris for Bastille Day (the equivalent of the 4th of July in the US)
July 15-July 17: Blackpool/Preston, England
July 18-July 24: The Hague/Amsterdam, Netherlands
July 24-July 29: Reykjavík, Iceland
July 29: Williamsburg, Virginia

Planes Flown: 21

Trains Ridden: 30 (Not including subways or trams, too many to count)

Beds Slept In: 21, 1 airplane, 1 train, 1 bean bag, and 1 park bench

Countries entered: 13

Travel days (wake up in one city, go to bed in another): 21

Cities visited: 23

Nights in each city (most to least):

Metz- 18
Paris- 6
Berlin, Qawra, The Hague- 5
Amsterdam, Brussels, Reykjavik. Nice- 4
Dublin, London, Bayeux- 3
Cairo, Preston/Blackpool- 2
Arras- 1

Money spent: Circa $4,000 total

I am so glad that I did this trip and had the opportunity to do so. Thank you mom for allowing me to venture off for the summer thousands of miles away. Thank you for staying in touch and helping me financially and mentally whenever I needed it. Thank you also to Gayla, Diane, and all my friends back in Virginia, North Dakota, and all across the world.

I would also like to thank the Finkel family for helping us out in Malta. Bob for buying my bus ticket in Dublin. Bertrand Agostini for helping 30 college kids survive France and being an awesome host and teacher. Kos, Becky, Sophie, and Nicole for allowing us to take over their homes. Alah for helping Craig and I cross the roads in Cairo. And lastly, all of the great friends I met and made in Metz and while traveling around.
I hope you enjoyed following my trip!
hancock826 says:
Ahhh, I just spent the morning reliving your trip. It was fun :)
Posted on: Sep 23, 2009