A Day in Strasbourg

Strasbourg Travel Blog

Chillin on the bus
After a 6:00am wake up and a loaf of bread and coffee for breakfast, I found myself in the courtyard with the rest of the group waiting for our bus to visit Strasbourg, France. We were blessed with the most amazing bus I had ever been on. It felt like I was sitting in a huge lounge chair in the middle of a living room. The bus ride itself only lasted an hour and a half, but I could’ve stayed in those seats for another few hours.

Strasbourg is another French town with heavy German influence. Many of the buildings have traditional German architecture and many of the restaurants sell German food. Our first stop was the European Parliament building where the governing body of Europe makes important decisions. The European Union (EU) is comprised of 27 European countries trying to unite Europe economically, politically, and one could argue, culturally.
Some of the Illinois State girls

The building was very clean and modern, but it also seemed cramped. It was interesting to see all of the meeting rooms, including the large debate room, similar to the one in the US Capital building. Translators at the EU outnumber politicians nearly four to one here in order to prevent miscommunication between the 27 nations. One interesting note is that every French flag was half mast due to the Air France flight that just crashed.

After a bag lunch and a short bus ride back downtown, I found myself strolling with the group towards the central cathedral (every European city has an old cathedral right in the middle, Metz and Strasbourg are no exception). We had some free time to explore the town on our own.
EU Parliament
I stuck with my main group of friends (mostly from Illinois) and we looked in some stores and took pictures of the German buildings that infested this French town. Strasbourg is the seventh largest city in France.

After the walk, we sat down and had some gelato outside of the cathedral while waiting for the rest of the group. While sitting at the gelato café, out of nowhere, beer came flying at us while we’re eating. Apparently, the couple sitting behind us had been in a heated argument to the point where the lady threw her beer at her boyfriend, broke the glass, and sent beer our direction. Needless to say we were all shocked and the lady had to clean it up. After a few more minutes of arguing, the boyfriend got up and left.

Once the rest of the group returned, it was time for a cathedral tour.
More EU P
Rant time. Even though I consider myself religious, I don’t get excited about visiting cathedrals. The first step inside is always a bit moving, but then I realize it looks like every other European cathedral and is usually a few hundred years old, like all the rest. And yes I understand the architecture is amazing as well, but it usually is on European cathedrals. Not to mention, every town has one.

After the cathedral visit, it was time to head back to the Bentley of busses for the ride back to Metz. I fell asleep for the first hour and woke up to a French police officer asking for my passport. Uh Oh, Derrick’s passport is in his room. Once the officers realized no one had theirs either and our leader, Bertrand, explained our situation, we were on our way again.

After dinner, a quick nap, and some laundry, some of us decided it was necessary to head back to the gay bar, Karma, for another night of who-knew-what. We ended up staying out dancing until two in the morning and then decided to call it a day.
jamesta917 says:
staying out and dancing till two am at a gay bar? wish i were with you!
Posted on: Jun 09, 2009
EU
EU
The debate room, similar to the US…
The debate room, similar to the U…
German architecture in France