AfricaEgyptCairo

Close your Eyes and Pray to Alah

Cairo Travel Blog

Bye Egypt!
Woke up to the alarm this time. Our plan for the day was to visit the Egyptian Museum and then head to the airport for our 4:00pm flight back to Europe. After breakfast, we began the short walk to the museum. In the process, we had to cross a few roads.

Crossing roads in downtown Cairo should be considered an Olympic event. Cars don’t stop and they don’t drive in lanes. I saw a total of one working stop light in this metropolis as well. The objective is to walk towards the oncoming traffic while still moving across. Yes, it is as complicated as it sounds. After a pretty hair-raising crossing with cars almost brushing us, a local who spoke English approached and told us how to cross a road in Cairo: “Close your eyes and pray to Alah”.
Small towns outside of Cairo
Didn’t attempt that approach but I’m sure it works for some.

Still in one piece, we walked past more gun toting tourism police and into the ticket line. After a small ordeal about whether or not Craig and I were actual students to receive the student discount (The Egyptian’s decided we were not in fact students, even though I had UVA shorts on, a UND shirt on, a student ID card, a Driver’s License saying I’m only 20, and a European student visa), we entered the museum.

The Egyptian museum in Cairo is home to all of the artifacts that have been excavated from the pyramids across the country. Unfortunately, I did not look very well organized and I would have much rather seem the artifacts in their natural homes. There were countless pots and scrolls with Egyptian writing.
Leaving the African coast
While looking at some of the pieces, I spotted a Green Bay Packers shirt. The guy was from New Jersey. Small world.

Anyway, we made our way up to the second floor to see the mummies. This was the highlight of the museum by far. It was very eerie seeing the coffins and mummies that were some 3000+ years old. We even saw mummified animals such as cats, alligators, and fish. Then we went to King Tut’s room. Unfortunately, there is a strict no camera policy. The headdress of King Tut was gold and covered with elaborate decorations. It looked just as I had imagined, and I was in awe. The coffin itself was just as beautiful.

We headed back to our hostel around 11:00am to pack up. We said goodbye to the friendly staff and took our last ride down our favorite elevator.
The Greek Isle of Crete
The same driver that took us to our cruise Friday night was waiting to chauffer us back to the airport (I thought all the drivers would ask for a tip, but none did). We chatted the entire way to the airport, mostly about Egyptian politics. The same President has been in power for 20 some years and the people don’t like him. Our driver predicts that a Kingdom is beginning as the people don’t have much power or money (Egypt is a very rich country at the top, but not the bottom). In a way, the way he spoke made me feel as if Egypt is like Iran but in a more efficient and safe way. All of the locals we encountered said they loved Egypt.

Before we knew it, we were at the airport and on our way back to Europe. Security and check-in were painless and we were soon settled into our huge plane back to Zurich. It was one of the most comfortable flights I had ever been on and we got some great views of the Greek Isles, Athens, Croatia, and Switzerland. After a quick transfer in Zurich, I now find myself typing in the last row of the plane next to Craig with a free beer and sandwich in hand. A great ending to a great weekend.

We’re heading to Amsterdam for the night (Craig has never seen it) and then taking a train in the morning to Brussels to meet back up with our group to do some more travelling.
The Greek Isle of Crete
Athens off in the distance (kinda …
Athens off in the distance (kinda…
Free Swiss chocolates on Swiss Air…
Free Swiss chocolates on Swiss Ai…
Landing in Switzerland