Bruxelles, Encore

Brussels Travel Blog

Dan and the Djiboutian
Another bittersweet ending today. After a full Tuesday of relaxing, it was time for me to leave and begin travelling on my own for the final (can you believe it?) week of the trip. Today’s port of call: Brussels for the third time, this time to visit my good friend Dan.

I slept for the two hour ride and got into town just before 3:00pm. I was meeting Dan in front of Le Grand Place, the big, historic building in the center of town where I had previously visited multiple times. I grabbed one of those famous Belgian waffles piled high with whipped cream and chocolate sauce and people watched until Dan and his cousin showed up at 4:30pm.

Most of Dan’s family is French, including his aunt that lives in Brussels. We took the tram back to Dan’s aunt’s house and I was greeted with a cute, city home with plenty of bedrooms for me to choose from and a fresh, French dinner. The dinner included a tomato/olive oil salad, potato wedges, and chicken skewers. Delicious.

That night, I stayed out late with Dan and his cousins and met up with many of their friends. All of them spoke French so I chimed in whenever I could. It was a very crazy night of bar/club hopping that didn’t end until the early hours of the morning. I even met the son of the Djiboutian Ambassador to Belgium. It was a pretty fun night of mingling, drinking, and enjoying good times. Dan and his family left early the next morning for a road trip through France while I departed back to Amsterdam.
The Djiboutian and myself
The Djiboutian and myself
Everyone at one of the last bars o…
Everyone at one of the last bars …
photo by: Vlindeke