Bob, Rugby, and the Irish

Dublin Travel Blog

Ryanair, gotta love 'em
Traveling sucks. Still exhausted, I went to check-in for my flight to Dublin. I was flying Ryanair, and for those of you that don't know, this is the ultimate low cost airline that charges for every little thing, however, their flights are very cheap (This is the airline that made news in the US a few months ago for considering charging to use the restrooms on their planes). Anyway, my bag was too heavy to carry on so I had to check it. Great. The flight cost me $20 and it cost me $30 to check the bag. I was then told I had to go to a special bag drop area. After a few laps around the airport I finally found it. The reasoning I got for having to go to secondary security is because my bag has straps on it.
Custom House in Dublin
Right. I'm pretty sure every bag has straps on it. They went through the bag and then gave me the most thorough body search I've ever had. And it was very thorough. After that mess I still had to go through normal security. Luckily, I had no problems and I was able to go to my gate without any more problems.

After this, the day did a massive 180 and I was reminded why I'm spending the whole summer abroad. On Ryanair, there are no assigned seats so it's first come, first serve. A man named Bob sat down next to me. Bob is a postman in Cambridge, England, and was on his way to visit family in central Ireland. We greeted each other and then both started to dose off.

It was a quick flight and as we were descending into Dublin, Bob and I struck up a conversation.
O'connoll Street and the Dublin Sprire
We talked about everything. Our backgrounds, what brought us to Ireland, my summer plans, his family. We both discovered that we were planning on taking the city bus from the airport to the main bus station in downtown Dublin and he offered to show me the way. Cool, I could just sit back and relax and let Bob get me home. We got off the plane, Bob still chatting my ear off and headed to Immigration. I had to go to the non-EU line and wasn't questioned whatsoever by a sweet old lady with a thick Irish accent. Bob and I met up again on the other side where my bag was already waiting for me.

Then it was time to get on the bus. I only had large bills and the driver said he couldn't break it (I don't know why this happens all the time in Europe but they don't like big bills).
River Liffey running through downtown Dublin
Before I even had time to react, Bob had already bought my bus ticket for me. I offered to pay him back but he wouldn't let me. "Ey mate, its cheaper than buyin a Guinness at da bar". I was so happy. Six Euros is like gold to me and he was more than happy to pick up the tab. We continued to chat about Ireland, England, and the US. Interesting stuff. We parted ways at the bus station. Don't you wish everyone could be like Bob?

After that refreshing trip from the airport to the bus station, I was in a great mood. I was in Ireland and almost every single stereotype was filled immediately. Violins were playing all over and the streets were lined with pubs. I started walking towards the Temple Bar (A nightlife hot spot known around the world, in which my bed is for the next three nights).
The Dublin Spire
As I approached, all of a sudden I heard screams all around. I was a bit nervous as I didn't know what was going on. Then I remembered I was in Ireland. The screams were coming from all the pubs. Everyone with a beer in hand, yelling at the rugby match on the TV. Welcome to Ireland Derrick.

And then the hostel. Located in the Temple Bar, it sits atop a bar/pub/Irish restaurant. Needless to say, it's pretty loud. I was greeted with open arms by the receptionist and headed to my room. When I opened the door, there were six Brits painted blue dressed like smurfs. Again, welcome to Ireland Derrick. I later found out they were all aged between 27 and 30 and came to drink all weekend and decided to go out as smurfs that day. I was finally able to take a shower and have a bite to eat.

As for the evening, I took a walk down the famed O'Connell Street, once the widest street in all of Europe. I sat underneath the Dublin Spire and just took in the atmosphere. This town is amazing. The people, the atmosphere, everything. I then took a stroll through the Temple Bar.

By stroll, I mean push, shove, yell, and elbow through Temple Bar. I've never seen so many drunk people in one place. It was incredible. Pubs and clubs line the cobblestone street for miles. Not to mention, the distinct smell of the Guinness brewery was cast over the whole scene. At that point, I was starting to get tired again and headed home for a good night's sleep.

Upon returning, all my roommates were there and getting ready for bed. We shared stories and talked a lot about American football. It was interesting that they had really only heard of the criminals (i.e. Plaxico Burress, Michael Vick). Around midnight, we were all ready to go to bed since they had an early flight out the next morning and I was simply exhausted.

I woke up today to the maids coming to clean the room. I glanced at my clock and noticed it was 1:30pm! Finally, a good nights sleep. I had some lunch and then went strolling again, this time to Trinity College. Trinity is a famous university here in Dublin that is attended by students from all over the world. I found a bench to sit for a while and watched a cricket match. Even though I don't know the first rule of cricket, it was fun trying to understand. After about an hour of that, I walked around Grafton Street (The main shopping district) and found this internet cafe in which I currently am typing from.

I really have no big plans this summer except to relax, meet people, and take it slow. I'm finally getting the chance to do so. I have no clue what I'm going to do tonight and I really don't care. I talked with the receptionist at the hostel this afternoon and asked if I was getting any roommates tonight. Sure enough, it will be me and seven girls in an eight bed-room. Sweet.

As for Ireland, I love it. It's a combination of the first impression and the reality of the stereotypes. I wish I could spend more time here, but I guess that just means I'll be returning again one day. Traveling is awesome.

Ryanair, gotta love em
Ryanair, gotta love 'em
Custom House in Dublin
Oconnoll Street and the Dublin Sp…
O'connoll Street and the Dublin S…
River Liffey running through downt…
River Liffey running through down…
photo by: fransglobal