EuropeMaltaQawra

I'm On a Boat!

Qawra Travel Blog

The sea
We told Sarah’s parents we would meet them at their resort at 11:30am today for lunch and a day on the water. Once again, we took the old school Malta bus and met them. Again, we were treated to a huge meal. I opted for breakfast instead of lunch since I hadn’t had a decent one the whole trip.

Malta is very popular with the British tourists (it was their island until 1964) so therefore my meal was a typical English breakfast consisting of eggs, toast, sausage, “chips”, baked beans, and a tomato. It hit the spot and was free to boot.

Sarah’s parents had rented a boat for the day as well as snorkel and fishing gear. The boat, about 12 feet, was the perfect size for us. Sarah’s mom stayed behind and even offered to do our laundry. What a deal. Off we went, destination: The Blue Lagoon (it just rolls right off the tongue doesn’t it?) It was about a 45 minute ride along the coast, past our town of Qawra, and just off of Malta’s smallest of its three islands, Comino.
One of my massive fish I caught
As soon as we arrived, hot and ready to swim, we dove into the clear blue water. The lagoon was surrounded by caves and various rock formations jetting out of the deep water. The water never got shallower than 15 feet. We snorkeled for almost an hour in the crystal clear Blue Lagoon water. Unfortunately, there weren’t that many fish but exploring the caves made up for it. It was very eerie leaving the sunlit water into the dark homes of who-knew-what. Luckily, all we encountered were a few peaceful and colorful jellyfish.

Once we had had enough swimming, Clark and I took our chances with the fishing poles. We were hoping to catch enough fish to clean and cook at our apartment, however, that mission failed. But it wasn’t a total failure. Out of all the fishing I’ve done in my life (which is a lot), I had never caught a fish in salt water until now.
The Blue Lagoon
I managed to catch four gorgeous, tropical fish. The only problem was, when put together head to tail, they totaled about a foot in length. Clark and I also both managed to get our lines stuck on rocks at the bottom. Since the water was so clear, we simply jumped back in the water with our snorkel gear and recovered our hooks.

Around 4:00pm, it was time to head back and return our vessel. We enjoyed the views of the Maltese coastline and, before we knew it, we were back at the Westin. We sat around the pool for a few hours until Sarah’s parents offered to take us out for yet another meal (I think they felt bad about our fishing skills, or lack thereof). This time it was Indian food. I had never tried it before so I figured why not? It reminded me of earlier in the trip when I had sushi in Luxembourg, only this time it was curry in Malta.
The clear water
I really enjoyed the food, even though it was a bit spicy. We went out for gelato afterwards and then said our thank you’s and good bye’s to Sarah’s parents. They helped us save A LOT of money and were very friendly people.

We walked through the streets of St. Julians back to the bus “terminal”. The bus system is efficient, yet confusing. You never know exactly where your bus will pick you up or where it’s heading and you have to ask them to stop at your particular stop. At least they are cheap and the busses are cool. Once back, we decided to go and take a night swim in the warm Mediterranean. We just couldn’t get enough of the water. After a half hour or so, we called it a night after a long day out in the sun.
addictedtosno says:
i can't believe you--of all people!--had trouble catching fish haha you must not have said pachoo as you casted :)
Posted on: Jul 14, 2009