The Scenic Route to London

New York Travel Blog

Hyde Park
Welcome to the blog! I’ve never done anything like this before but I have always liked writing, especially about travel experiences, so I thought I would give this a shot. As most of you already know, I decided last summer that I was going to spend this summer in Europe. At that time, however, I had absolutely no clue when, where, or how I would do this. Over the course of the past year I had two jobs working six days a week. I got in touch with friends in the US and in Europe to see if they wanted to join me. After months of planning, this is what the tentative itinerary looks like:

Today (May 20, 2009): Fly from Minneapolis to London (via Chicago, Washington DC, and New York blah it has been a long day).

May 21-23: London
May 23-26: Dublin, Ireland
May 26-30: Nice, France
May 30-June 27: Study Abroad program through the University of North Dakota in Metz, France with visits to Strasbourg, France, Brussels, Belgium, The D-Day beaches in Normandy, and finally Paris
June 27-July 2: Paris, France, and meeting up with my friends Clark and Sarah who went to China with me last summer
July 2-July 3: Arras, France for an outdoor Coldplay concert
July 3-July 5: Brussels, Belgium
July 5-July 8: Berlin, Germany
July 8-July 13: Valletta, Malta
July 13-July 14: Back to Paris for Bastille Day (the equivalent of the 4th of July in the US)
July 14-July 18: Somewhere in England
July 18-July 24: Amsterdam, Netherlands
July 24-July 29: Reykjavík, Iceland
July 29: Williamsburg, Virginia

Like I said, this is just a basic guideline as to where I’ll be and probably won’t be followed, but that’s what makes it fun.
River Thames

I will be doing this whole trip with a backpack consisting of clothes, food, money (hopefully enough), a few other necessities, and my laptop. As of right now, I am sitting in New York’s JFK airport waiting for my flight to London. I’m taking the scenic route to London from Minneapolis because I had a free ticket to use within the US on United Airlines and used it to get to New York where I booked a cheap Delta Airlines flight to London. I’m scheduled to arrive at 9:30 tomorrow morning.

So far the trip has gone flawlessly, which is a rarity for my travels lately. Woke up at 4am in Minneapolis, left my aunt’s house at 4:30, airport at 4:45, on the plane to Chicago at 6. Landed in Chicago at 7, left for DC at 9, arrived at 12, left for New York at 12:30, and arrived here at 1:30. Between Chicago and DC, I sat next to an older couple (I would say mid-70’s) on their way to Beijing. They were very sweet and I gave them some pointers and tips on what and what not to do. It brought back a lot of memories and got me even more excited for the memories I’m going to make this summer.

I plan on updating this blog daily, sometimes more, sometimes less. I hope you all enjoy it and feel free to join the site and leave me comments!

jamesta917 says:
bearrrr i miss you too! hope everything is well... sorry my phone was broken last night while i was trying to text you! but i replaced it this evening so all's well! i can't wait to hear all your stories :)
Posted on: May 21, 2009
addictedtosno says:
miss you already! hope the delayed flight got out okay :)
Posted on: May 20, 2009