A trip to the beach that is 5 minutes away from Irene's house..

Leca da Palmeira Travel Blog

Irene felt super bad that we were stuck inside yesterday and I was so happy - she had a day off today!! So around 1pm we went to the beach that she is always recommending I go to. I can see it from where I'm standing, but I'm really bad with directions and it was always iffy trying to figure out where I am going on foot. So we walk together and I can't believe how close it is!! There are a few turns I didn't expect and going through 1 building but all in all it's like a 6 minute walk - jeez!! This would have helped the first week!

There are a couple of really beautiful beaches in Leca, and a prime surfing area in Matosinhos a few kilometers south. We walked along this beautiful, uncrowded promenade and watched families bike together, people laying in a strip of grass between the promenade and the sand, and families playing in the sand.
I think they both had the same exact amount of energy!!
The key word in Portugal is families - they are so uber-important and central to Portuguese life - it's absolutely awesome to witness.

Irene has a favorite beach but we had to get ready for a Habitat party tonight so we had about 2 hours to go to the beach, eat and then go home and get showered and dressed. We found a closer beach/cove to camp out at and all of a sudden I realize Irene has her swimsuit under her clothes!! I am so jealous! I knew we were going to the beach but I didn't realize we were getting in the water! Oh how I would've loved to lay out in my new African bikini!!! so I opted for taking some pictures and marveling at the clear, warm water. The Atlantic is notoriously freezing but there seemed to be a fairly warm current today so I walked around up to my knees in the water - yay!

Had to go unfortunately but what a calm and peaceful place to hang out. Had some lunch at a cafe nearby and went back to get ready for tonight's party!
I think they both had the same exa…
I think they both had the same ex…
getting on their bikes!
getting on their bikes!
Welcome to Leca!
Welcome to Leca!
me looking crazy at the beach!
me looking crazy at the beach!
ooh sexy mama!!