I pulled my legs climbing up an active volcano

Mount Etna Travel Blog

Dying a little bit right now - didn't realize how out of shape I'm in! A visit to Sicily means you have to visit Mt Etna - an active volcano. Where else are you going to see 15 foot high snowdrifts covered in a thick cake of volcanic ash?! And then walk to the latest crater - a byproduct of Etna's latest temper tantrum??

Needless to say, the day trip to Sicily is an expensive one. But well worth it because Sicily isn't amazing with public transportation either, although I did see a bus terminal in Taormino, so I suppose it is possible. The ferry, bus and guide costs 115 Euro, and unfortunately the trek up to Mt. Etna (a lift, an incredibly packed snowmobile and a 10 minute guide) costs another 51 Euro. It's also not for the feint of heart, as the short 30 meter walk is on volcanic ash or iced-over snow and goes up and down so you're always kind of tensed up and working your muscles in the thin, cold air. Hiking boots are best for this trip, sneakers are a distant second, and flipflops, well.. let's just say you'll probably get frostbite.

Probably could have done without this part of the trip, would have loved to have traded it for some time on the coast, but doing it once in your life isn't too bad!
jenn79 says:
I think you can drive up to the base area for free in your own car, but anything higher must be restricted due to all the active volcanoes - but I'm not sure about that! It's very icy and steamy up the mountain and not super beautiful or anything.
Posted on: Aug 10, 2009
MoonStarFarAway says:
do people have to take "guide" and pay 51 Euro for 10 minutes, can't I just walk and hike on Etna?
Posted on: Aug 10, 2009
TRE69 says:
oh no not ANOTHER injury!!! girl we gotta whip you into shape! hahaha i gotta whip myself into shape too!
Posted on: May 14, 2009