Touchdown in Turkey!

Istanbul Travel Blog

The group at Istanbul airport!!
No sleep for the weary! Met up with some always welcoming Turkish (SO friendly, middle easterners, I swear!) Landed close to midnight and had to get on another plane to the black sea at 6am, so didn't sleep a wink. Took a long foot-tour through one of the main streets in Turkey, surprisingly alive for 3am, but apparently empty compared to what it's like during the daytime.

Saw a half dozen beautiful mosques, the Bosphorus and smoked nargile - otherwise known as hookah! Vera introduced me to cappucino, which rivals my favorite flavor - rose! Had a ton of turkish tea and ate raw green plums off of a random tree in the yard. Got to know Jacob and Azziz a little better - such nice young men!!

Walked until I got blisters, I feel like we circled the bosphorus about 4 times!! Ate Simit, a delicious pretzal-tasting (but much better) bakery item covered in sesame seeds I believe.
On the Bosphorus!!
The pastries in Turkey are unbelievable!! And we only tried like 2 or 3 of them! The cafes on this street were unbelievably ornate - no matter how small the cafe, there were crytal chandeliers and gilded walls. The street is also COMPLETELY LINED in ATMs. You can't walk 2 steps without encountering a bank or an ATM, it's like "spend your money!! now!!"

The last hour was particularly hard to stay awake, but a few shenanigans and a call to prayer later, we were off to the airport again at a quarter to 5am. Aziz and Jacob took care of our bags (I feel like I never have to worry about transportation and luggage carrying around middle easterners!) and walked us through security practically to the gates.
TRE69 says:
sounds like a fabulous welcome to turkey! i need to go there too!
Posted on: May 25, 2009
first sight of Istanbul!
first sight of Istanbul!
a water-washing area in the middle…
a water-washing area in the middl…
Me and Fabio at Madrid airport
Me and Fabio at Madrid airport
Madrid airport
Madrid airport
crowded 7 into a car.. AGAIN!
crowded 7 into a car.. AGAIN!
Jacob sitting in the trunk!
Jacob sitting in the trunk!
Irene!
Irene!
walking down the street
walking down the street
sitting down for some nargila!
sitting down for some nargila!
whoo, cappucino!