Oh, I'm helping on the construction site???

Braga Travel Blog

The Lausanne School team
Flew into Porto Portugal late Sunday and was greeted at the airport by the smiling faces of Irene AND Vera!!! WOW!!! Ricardo wanted to be there but I think he had classes. I was so happy to see my old friends and they whisked me away to the shore by the lighthouse for some hot chocolate and snack before dinner!

On Monday, I went with Irene to the Habitat construction site and who descends from the bus to greet me but Ricardo!!! There is no greeting like the kind you get in Portugal =) The weather was amazing, the sun was out, the wind was brisk and it was such a lovely day to be outside and doing something active. Why not participate - this was such a nice group of young people!! So off I go in my little blouse from Paris pouring massa (concrete), digging holes and heaving tons of shovelfuls of concrete halfway across the construction site.
But at least no breaking rocks this time! It was pretty funny, I actually worked harder on this site than the one I paid to participate in 2 years ago, and I have the sunburn and muscle aches to prove it!! But it actually conjured up memories of my last Habitat trip - we were divided into the rock-breakers and the dirt-shovelers! The back of the pickup truck that we had to sit in that previously held the dirt we had shoveled out of the hole... We had such a tough foundation to even out it was crazy! This one was so much easier but memories of the old one made me smile =)

It was such a good time, the family even made a HUGE lunch for us - fries, pork, salad, fruit, coffee, rice and this wonderful cornbread! It was such an improvement over our crap cantina that we had to eat in 2 years ago!! And the vistas were BEAUTIFUL. Man walking around the contruction site and look into the distance reminded me how gorgeous Portugal was. Unbelievable, this place!!
working hard!
working hard!
Ricardo has lots of shovels!
Ricardo has lots of shovels!
wow, look at this view!
wow, look at this view!
The site is already half prepared!!
The site is already half prepared!!
look - sheep!