Maybe I'll leave the hotel??

Mellieha Travel Blog

kitchen area
Woke up at 9:20 to a call from hotel management to say good morning. Went to bed at 3am and now am very tired and dehydrated.

The drive was an hour from the airport to get to Mellieha and chatted with the taxi driver. They drive on the left side of the road here so this is my first time being a passenger on the left! Malta has some crazy influences - it's part Arabic, part Italian, part British and part Spanish. Poor confused souls. Their language is therefore absolutely impossible to understand but luckily it's all harmonized by the fact that they more or less speak English. I'm glad I stopped here because it's kind of a step down from being a developed country so some of the ruddiness and lack of comfort is still here - for example the water was brown when I turned it on - you can't drink the water here.
I should use this grill!
My apartment has a outdoor concrete slab with a net over it to grill over charcoal. (Where are the twins when you need them?! they would have totally dug that!) But the apartment feels like I'm on a boat or submarine or something! The ceilings are low, the decor is out of the 80's, but at least I have 2 balconies and 2 bathrooms all to myself with the same type of hand-held showers that I used in Africa.

I will have to make a trip to the grocery store today for sure! That is, if they're not closed. Should really plan for the week but there's no wifi in the apartments and sitting in the lounge with my laptop isn't that comfortable. Be back in a bit! Maybe with pictures! =D

*********************

I'm baaack!! Leaning out of my balcony it appears that I can get wifi from ACROSS THE BAY at Riviera hotel for FREE! None of this BS walk into the lobby stuff! But it's super unsecured so no checking financial stuff from here - only blogging and posting pics! =)

So far I am hating Malta.
to the left
It's so quiet I think I can hear people snoring from the NEXT ISLAND. No, it's just cause my hotel is on the north part of the island away from everything. It's very pretty, but inconvenient. I just spent 20 Euro to get a taxi to bring me to and back from the nearest supermarket, and it was INSIDE another resort and was the size of the deli in my old building in Bunker Hill. With infinitely less selection. But at least stuff is cheap here. I got a bag of sugar for 50 cents. And a bag of frozen fish for like 2 bucks.

I feel as if I've been transported back into the 80's. The decor, the quality of stuff, and the prices just reek of protectionism. I bought a couple cans of coke yesterday and for some reason they're in these long copper colored cans, like a little taller and thicker than Red Bull.
that's Gozo in the distance
And they're made of something copper colored!! Like.. you can tell that they either get the low-grade shipments or their factories haven't been upgraded for 20 years. WHO DIDN'T GET THE MEMO?!?

Sadly, I'd rather be half-dying in Bangui than here right now. Am missing the constant stresses and humdrum and responsibilities and of course in hindsight, the drama that I managed to live through. Hopefully things look up when I play tourist tomorrow, Tuesday at latest. Still have to buy my ticket to Portugal - THANKS CITIBANK for FREEZING my card AGAIN. Jackasses.

aswold says:
You're a good sport!
Posted on: May 26, 2009
alicegourmet says:
I know it's not easy to go to somewhere doesn't have a lot of modern facilities. Fortunately you have fantastic view of the ocean! ^_^
Posted on: May 11, 2009
RJ82 says:
wow! amazing place you stayin at
Posted on: May 10, 2009