EuropeTurkeyRize

Held prisoner in Rize and bonding with the participants!

Rize Travel Blog

aww, it's Karesz! =D
I really really wanted to leave Rize early. I couldn't take it anymore, despite the very warm and caring people we met on every possible occasion. Despite the visit to the ER, it was not enough for the representative from the national committee that was a very rude and myopic Turkish fellow with a funny-shaped head, and the Portuguese team has now dubbed him "the funny-shaped head guy". He said to our coordinator "Why do the Spanish have to make trouble?! The EC expects them to be here until Sunday, so they must stay until Sunday, why do they have to be so uncooperative?!" FIRST OF ALL, we're PORTUGUESE, not SPANISH you dumb nitwit! Yes, I have completely taken on the Portuguese identity at this point, which I have to say suits me really really well!

I really didn't expect to bond with any of the participants of the program as they seemed to unnecessarily competitive and fake and intense!! Yeah, I really don't like those three characteristics.
more dancing of course!
Dumb is usually on top of my "do-not-like" list, but this combo took the cake! As you can see by most of the pictures, I spent a lot of time hanging out with the locals and playing with the kids that thought I was japanese! But sometimes some of the nicer things happen when you just push through and just cope as best you can in a tough situation. Earlier today, we were all rejoicing over appearing in not just one, but TWO Turkish newspapers! Sure they were probably local press in Rize, but it was still fun to see! I couldn't read Turkish but I'm pretty sure they mentioned some Japanese girl representing Portugal - haha! Then later Pearlie, Karesz and I found ourselves together on a car ride back to the hostel and laughed about some of the crazier participants in our group.
The 3 muskateers! =)
I didn't realize that we all kind of.. saw things similarly =) Then one of the other Hungarians brought me this Turkish recipe - literally a therapeutic honey water for my stomach and somehow THAT managed to stop my stomach problems for a whole day! Unbelievable! I was so grateful that a large majority of people were generally concerned, especially after I got back from the ER, despite my being antisocial for most of the week as I got sick from Wednesday forwards. I suck sometimes, it's true. I just didn't have the patience to argue with people during this trip in a language that was not their mother tongue, particularly when I was sick and prone to use words like "myopic", "condescending", " and "argumentative". But in the very end, particularly the very last day, perhaps because the stress was over, we all really bonded, spent time together, and made some nice friendships. I have little doubt that the Hungarians (the least crazy of the bunch) and the Portuguese (that would be me) will travel together very soon =) We have a Budapest-Prague-Berlin-Vienna trip outlined already =) YAY!

aww, its Karesz! =D