Angola Fundraiser in Guimaraes

Guimaraes Travel Blog

The group!
Today was suuuper busy! We joined another Switzerland high school's last day of construction which was such a pity because I always have such a good time with the teams and I had just met them! It was pouring at the construction site and their leader almost wanted to bail since it was only a half day of work anyway, but adversity is so character building and these kids did so great! I carried rocks in the rain, mixed massa for bricklaying and chatted with all the students - there were lots of Americans in this school and they kept speaking perfect French, it was so enchanting and jealousy-inducing at the same time!

I learn a lot at these volunteering days, I get a lot from them too - some manual labor, looking over the beautiful rolling hills of Braga, and satiating my need to meet new, cool people.
I almost stole that rainmaker you see on the table..
If only my friends didn't seem to get younger and younger!! =)

After a hard day's construction  we went home for a rest and back out to Guimaraes to join Sandro at a church fundraiser to send some people to Angola. It's interesting/obvious where Portugal's interest lie - former colonies where ties are still very strong. Everyone from architectural firms to church groups still send all their employees for an "internship" or mission to Angola or Mozambique, it's really interesting.

Though the fundraiser was less than spectacular, it was nice to see all the gorgeous artwork that they had obviously brought back from Angola. The wood sculptures in particular are amazing, and I almost stole a rainmaker I wanted it so bad!! It was covered in painted leather and had a shoulder strap. I thought it was an arrow-holder at first! haha!! =)
The group!
I almost stole that rainmaker you …
I almost stole that rainmaker you…
haha!!
haha!!
Me and sweet Sandro!
Me and sweet Sandro!
grandpa and grandson dancing!
grandpa and grandson dancing!
Irene signing the book!