Recovery & the Gondola Ride

Venice Travel Blog

After a night from hell, I awoke no better then when I went to bed. I was hungry but the thought of food was nauseating. Linda went down and got me some tea and rolls and gave me strict instructions to try to get something down. I chased her down to have breakfast with Helen and Earl and I hung out trying to eat at least a bit. Eventually, I felt well enough to get showered and when Lin came up we went for a little exploratory walk. First priority was to stop at the Farmacia for some stomach meds and some electrolyte powder and then to buy some water to put it in. I tired quickly, though, and noticed that the sun bothered me a lot. Fortunately, the narrow streets make it easy to stay in the shade! We weren’t gone long before we came back for a little rest, then we went out for lunch.

We’d noticed “Frary’s Cucina Mediorientale”, a Middle Eastern restaurant around the corner from the hotel and, given that we’re getting pretty tired of Italian food, gave that a try. I’d intended to get something light like cous cous but when I saw Shrimp Saganaki on the menu, I took a chance and, surprisingly, it went down easily! I’d hoped we could take the vaporetto to St. Mark’s after lunch but by the time we ate I was exhausted again so we came back for a long nap.

By the time I awoke, I was feeling downright well so we got dressed, collected Helen and Earl and set off in search of a gondola. We’d not gone far before we found and were found by two gondoliers making their pitch and the four of us set out with a gondolier on a trip of 45 minutes or so.

Us
It was expensive but worth every dime. About half the time was spent in small canals and half on the Grand Canal. Each element had its advantages, the tranquility of the small and the grandeur of the large. The gondolier pointed interesting sights out periodically but was not intrusive. Though I’d read you had to pay extra to hire a singer, this guy sang quietly for a lot of the time and that added a lot.

Dinner was at Caffé Saracento on the Grand Canal very near the Rialto Bridge. As they had in France, Trygars treated us to dinner for our anniversary. Lin and I shared ravioli to start and both of us had Veal Marsala as a main course. The meal, the service, and especially the ambiance were great. As we neared the hotel, we heard the sounds of a chorus from Verdi’s Aida coming from a magnificent palace just across the canal. This was the first time we’d seen lights in that building and from what we could see of the painted ceilings, it was magnificent. We learned that, while it is still a private palace, the ballroom is occasionally rented out for weddings and such.

Us
Good luck kiss under Rialto Bridge…
Good luck kiss under Rialto Bridg…
Helen and Earl