Orvietto - Our First Hill Town

Orvieto Travel Blog

Orvieto
What a perfect day! Today's mission was to get to the train station, rent a car, and drive to the villa in Pozzuolo. We’d agreed to leave the hotel at 9:30 but all of us were running ahead of schedule so we were in the cab around 9. One cab was sufficient for all 4 of us plus 4 large and 4 small bags. We had information on exactly where in the train station we were to go for the Europcar rental and the whole process came off without a hitch. The car was a full-sized van, a Fiat Ulysse and, unlike the trip of a few years ago, we had more then enough room. I got my portable GPS hooked up and, with Earl driving and me navigating, we headed north.
We had booked through Parker Villas the villa “Camaleone-Ghibellino” in Pozzuolo, Umbria.
Orvieto
Most of the trip was on the A1 toll road and, unchecked, we’d arrive at the villa far earlier than the 4:00 check-in time so we agreed to stop in Orvietto, which was right on the way. Orvieto, very close to the Tuscany/Umbria border is one of the fortified “hill towns” and is absolutely charming. We followed a winding road to the top of the hill and, unwisely, passed the large parking lot just outside the walls thus ending up driving through much of the town, winding though the streets and dodging people. After looping through town and back to the lot, we walked through the streets, checking out the stores and restaurants and taking pictures. Like some of the towns in Alsace, there were good possibilities for pictures everywhere. The front of the Duomo is unbelievable in the complexity of its decorations. Heading back towards the parking lot, we selected “Locanda del Lupo” for lunch. Lin and I shared a 5-cheese pizza and it was wonderful; the cheese combination was great and the crust was thin and crispy. We’d passed a wine store a few doors back so, while I settled the bill, Earl and Linda bought 4 bottles of wine to get us started at the villa.

photo by: sherryshakarob