We Move into the Villa

Pozzuolo Travel Blog

From our porch
Heading onward to Pozzuolo, we decided against the Autostrada since we’d been seeing warnings of construction ahead. It’s interesting to note that my Garmin Nuvi was warning me of traffic in Italy though it does NOT do so at home! At home, I have to pay XM for the same functionality on my Acura that I get here for free. Hmmm.... Anyway, the road the GPS chose as an alternative was a mountain road so we did a lot of twisting and turning but also got a good appreciation for the beauty of Umbria.
Since we were renting a villa rather than staying in a hotel, we’d been instructed that we MUST arrive at the appointed time. The literature said that if we were late, we might find the “keyholder” gone and be on our own for lodging at least for the first night.
Our pool
As a consequence, we got there at 3:30. As instructed, we went to the Camilloni clothing store across the street from the villa where we were met by Gabrielle Camilloni. He and his wife, Ivana, own both the store and the villa. They could not possibly have been nicer and the villa itself is just about perfect. What we rented is half of a duplex with three bedrooms though we needed only two. The third bedroom has only a single bed though it’s wider than what would pass as a single in the States so it might be adequate for two kids. There is also a single in addition to the king in one of the other bedrooms. There is also a nice living room/dining room and a full eat-in kitchen, a large porch with a table and chairs and a pool. In the basement is a laundry room with a tiny washer.
Dinner at "I Chari"
Because no one was renting the other apartment, we had the pool to ourselves. The place appears to be relatively new, is well built, in very good repair, and spotlessly clean. The only negative is that it's on a relatively busy road and is rather near a few other houses, and some dogs that I wish were quieter. To put my comments into perspective, you need to know that I live in a very quiet suburban neighborhood so my tolerance for noise is abnormally low. On balance, I highly recommend this villa and was sorry to leave it..

Before leaving, Gabriella and Ivana invited us to go with them in the AM to an exhibit of many antique and classic cars and motorcycles owned by one of their fiends.

Once settled in, off we went for a brief exploratory trip to the lake and then stopped for groceries. Buying groceries was a real treat since none of us has a particularly good grasp of Italian. I took a bit of a swim while everyone relaxed for a bit. The water was quite cold but I actually like it that way so I was in clover.

For dinner we went only a few kilometers away to the “I Chiari”. They were setting up for a large private party inside but had room for us on the terrace and the night was beautiful if a bit cool. The waitress, Nicolete, is from Romania and she was really sweet. Though her native language is, of course, Romanian and she’s living in Italy, her English was quite good. One time, however, she started rattling on in Italian and then stopped herself saying, “Oh, I’m speaking Italian, aren’t I?” Lin and I shared what was by far the best penne with vodka sauce I’ve ever had. She had veal in lemon and I veal in wine sauce. Both were excellent.

Dinner at I Chari
Dinner at "I Chari"
Pozzuolo Hotels & Accommodations review
Nice, quiet villa in Umbria
This place was recommended to us by friends of friends. Since we were renting a villa rather than staying in a hotel, we’d been instructed that we … read entire review
Pozzuolo