Last Night in Venice

Venice Travel Blog

St. Mark's

Eventually we took the ferry back to Venice but this time took it to Piazzo St. Marco, only to find the area absolutely mobbed with tourists. Reportedly, two cruise ships had disgorged their passengers and it was difficult even to move. Fortunately, while the line for the basilica of St. Marco was long, it was moving fairly well so we did get a chance to visit the nave. As Vittorio had told us, the ceiling is totally covered with golden mosaics; an effect that was amazing. We were eager to escape the crowds, though, so we fought our way across the Rialto Bridge and, rather than descend all the way to the mob on the north side, made a left turn to the river walk, stopping for a glass of wine at Caffé Saracento where we’d had dinner the previous night.

On Saturday I’d talked to a painter near the church of Santa Meria Gloriosa dei Frari but, since Linda wasn’t with me, I had bought nothing. I saw him again on Sunday but we were hustling off somewhere so we didn’t stop. After that, he disappeared for a while so I figured we’d swing around for one last chance to buy a picture. Fortunately he was there and we bought two small watercolors and talked to him for quite a while. I'm a sucker for street musicians and artists!

Back at the hotel, we checked in with Helen and Earl and made arrangements to meet for dinner at 7:30. Dinner was back by the Rialto bridge. Linda and I shared a delicious Gnocchi Quattro Formaggio to start. I had Veal Marsala again and Lin had Veal Milanese, which is essentially Wiener Schnitzel. I must admit that hers was better than mine. As we arrived at the hotel, there was another concert going on in the palace across the canal and there were a number of people, including some guests at our hotel, standing around listening as did we for a while. Eventually we gave up, finished the packing, and hit the rack.

St. Marks